What is the one thing you most hate in bonsai (so far)?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I hate waiting from late fall until spring!
I am always eager for spring, but relish the 'off-season'.

It is a great time to review the last season and plan for the next.
It is a great time to read.
It is a great time to learn about how trees actually work (i.e., horticulture, physiology).

The one thing I most hate in bonsai is reading/hearing about trees 'sending energy' to different places.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When you want to/have to go out of town and must rely on someone or nature to water your trees.
Seconded, and also not enjoying visualizing how to set up my spot-spitter automatic watering setup without knowing what my yard /garden (yet to be built) will look like at a new house sometime next year (have yet to find said house).

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Two seasons ago Marc Noelanders slapped me around a bit for bad wiring technique with copper. It has taken me two seasons of practice, but it is incredible what a difference good wiring makes. This is by no means perfect, but it is functional and visually appealing!

Practice...practice...practice...
Try to make your spirals a little tighter near the ends of the twigs. And end with a little loop that hooks up under the terminal bud, and curls up and back. That way, the cut end of the wire, which will be shiny, won’t glint in your eye.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I hate disinformation online, “mallsai” , eBay sellers that post bonsai seeds hahah do they think people are stupid.
Still waiting on my maple leave to turn cobalt blue like the picture of the honest Chinese seed seller suggested...only 15 more years he said ...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love everything about bonsai. There is nothing about bonsai that I would say that I “hate.”

I get a little antsy over the winter when there is not much bonsai to be done. But my few tropicals are enough to get me to spring. Then, the excitement come repotting season is even sweeter after the long wait ;)

My favorite thing about bonsai is wiring. I need more trees so that I can wire every day that I have time during the proper seasons!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I used to hate buying pots... one of my favorite things now. I used to hate wiring... one of my favorite things now. I used to hate unwiring... definitely not one of my favorite things now but I enjoy the transformation that comes with wiring and unwiring brings me closer to the next metamorphosis. The thing I hate most about bonsai... disease and pestilence... and in particular spider mites (though fungus is a close second).
What about huge trees falling in your bonsai garden?

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Battling unknown health issues. Seems to be a constant fight. If I could better identify and address health issues of trees it wouldn't be as bad.

So many "unseen" foes with fungus, disease and insects.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Watering and care when traveling or in the event of an emergency is the biggest uncertainty.

Followed closely by the VC.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
distaste?
Aversion?
Loate?
Despise! Arrogant practitioners that think they are MASTER and can tell all less experienced what trees and rules they MUST follow or will never have "believable" tree! And then grow totally unbelievable sumo trees themself.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a love/hate relationship with my own lack of patience.
I absolutely hate late spring frosts and losing grafts.
I almost hate the summer heat this year, lost two trees because they were baked in their pots.
I also despise the forrestry agency for ripping out hundreds of pines every year and not responding to my inquiries.

Top Bottom