What is the possibility of having a Classified Section?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The idea certainly has merit, I'll give you that.
I am not interested in commission work. I don't at all mind suggestions, but I am getting too old to fart around struggling to make something because I am committed to it. Selfish? Maybe. But I want to make what I want to make. I guess that really has more to do with my nature than with my age.
About 30 years ago I learned the lapidary arts and silversmithing and was well tutored. I had fun with it for several years, sitting up until the wee morning hours "expressing" myself. I did some craft shows and had some experience with people who wanted to special order things, sometimes in quantity and sometimes even for a price break. A well dressed gentleman walked up to me at a local annual show and was looking at a pair of chakra earrings I had made. It was a sting of seven different stones to represent the chakras, set in sterling. He had a dilemma. His words, not mine. "Should I buy these for my wife or my secretary." I simply replied that I wasn't "going there". He disappeared for awhile and returned about an hour later. He said he wanted 7 pairs, one for his wife and one for each of the women in his office. Indeed a generous thing to consider. His question was, "If I buy 7 pair, how much of a discount can I get". I looked him squarely in the eyes and quietly said that because I am generally a nice guy, pair number two would cost the same as pair number one, but then each subsequent pair would be 20% more than the prior pair. He though I was joking, so I explained that the first pair was an act of creation that I had taken pleasure in making, but that any subsequent pair was only a copy and no longer fun, but work. He bought the pair for his wife as an original one of a kind creation upon my sage advice.
I meant.. like... “here’s the tree.. YOU design a pot”

but I do, totally understand what you are saying, friend.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I explained that the first pair was an act of creation that I had taken pleasure in making, but that any subsequent pair was only a copy and no longer fun, but work.
I very much understand. Have known & worked with artists on both sides of that fence.

But also, designing & making one-offs is quite a different animal from production — I’m grateful to the boss who showed me that, years ago. She would have a blast designing pieces and making a few prototypes, finding out the pros and cons, and altering the materials/process to suit. Then she prepared to make a small production run, say 6 pieces, to build in stages as a group — and she TIMED herself doing it at a normal, comfortable pace. Then STREAMLINED her process/design as necessary to make the time & materials expenditure leave her with a profit when she sold the items for an attractive wholesale price. Can’t always win that battle, though: I remember one line that worked out great — profitable & popular — and another that just couldn’t pay its way without being drained of all we loved about the design (and those originals were a joy to behold, too, so that was an eye-opener).

Guess what I’m saying is, multiples are a business proposition, and if one hasn’t “costed it out,” getting locked into a commission or wholesale-pricing commitment could be a whole lot more work than it’s worth.

(TinyAuntie pipes down, now!)

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
..........pair number two would cost the same as pair number one, but then each subsequent pair would be 20% more than the prior pair. He though I was joking, so I explained that the first pair was an act of creation that I had taken pleasure in making, but that any subsequent pair was only a copy and no longer fun, but work.

@penumbra I'm glad I came back to read the new posts..............this is another that will forever be etched in my mind.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have been thinking more and more about this, lately...

As recently, a few sales posts were observed, after the fact, slip on the site, AND off.. because they were hardly noticed. (Sexy conifer seedlings come to mind)

I DO believe our existing sales threads ARE sufficient. I ,also, believe it's very much an "Ope! Forgot to check dere. Whoops!" situation.

I feel a PLACEMENT change would be sufficient to encourage more traffic and keep this thought more "frontwards". ;)

Like Maybe... Higher up... but still less conspicuous..?

Just Spit-Brain-Ball-Stormin'

Top Bottom