What is this green stuff at base of trunk on Fukien tea?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is it something to worry about? Should I remove it and if so, how?

Thank you so much for all of your help! ☺️

Attachments

• EF6162C2-1A34-4B47-B1C7-F8F012DEC369.jpeg
    EF6162C2-1A34-4B47-B1C7-F8F012DEC369.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 71

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I see part of a leaf. removal depends whether it is still attached to the tree.
I see maybe a couple of yellowish stems? - remains of trimming?
Maybe I see a hint of algae growing on the base of the trunk????? If that's what you are concerned with I think no need to worry. Probably results from a bit too much water or not enough sun though.
Vinegar solution should kill any moss or algae if it is a problem.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If this tree is indoors, expect that algae to get worse and for your tree to decline. Bonsai are not houseplants--even the tropical species. Tropical species like Fukien Tea, should be outside for the summer getting a lot of sun...which will probably take care of the algae. You will have to watch your watering, as watering too much is responsible for the majority of bonsai death for people just starting out.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I see part of a leaf. removal depends whether it is still attached to the tree.
I see maybe a couple of yellowish stems? - remains of trimming?
Maybe I see a hint of algae growing on the base of the trunk????? If that's what you are concerned with I think no need to worry. Probably results from a bit too much water or not enough sun though.
Vinegar solution should kill any moss or algae if it is a problem.

Got it and makes complete sense! It has been raining a LOT here, so I can see how I could be dealing with some overwatering issues. Will apple cider vinegar work, or should I use white vinegar solution? Also, how and where do I apply the solution?

Thank you!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If this tree is indoors, expect that algae to get worse and for your tree to decline. Bonsai are not houseplants--even the tropical species. Tropical species like Fukien Tea, should be outside for the summer getting a lot of sun...which will probably take care of the algae. You will have to watch your watering, as watering too much is responsible for the majority of bonsai death for people just starting out.
Thank you! I keep my Fukien and all my bonsais outdoors. I am thinking my daily watering with an incredible increase in rain could be causing the issue. I will slow down on the watering and shield the plant from the rain, when necessary. I def don’t want to run into a root rot issue. So I’ll take this as a warning sign. 👌

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you! I keep my Fukien and all my bonsais outdoors. I am thinking my daily watering with an incredible increase in rain could be causing the issue. I will slow down on the watering and shield the plant from the rain, when necessary. I def don’t want to run into a root rot issue. So I’ll take this as a warning sign. 👌
I would not shelter the plant from rain, rather I would monitor the amount of water YOU are giving it. It's a lot easier and less stressful for the plant. By monitoring, I'm not talking about withholding water, just keeping an eye on it and watering when it needs it. If it rains after you do that, don't worry about it. In other words, don't count on the rain to water your trees, just make sure YOU aren't overwatering. This is kind of a tricky thing when it rains a lot--you have to be able to tell when the tree needs water and not just tipping a watering can on it every day at the same time, whether the plant needs it or not.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would not shelter the plant from rain, rather I would monitor the amount of water YOU are giving it. It's a lot easier and less stressful for the plant. By monitoring, I'm not talking about withholding water, just keeping an eye on it and watering when it needs it. If it rains after you do that, don't worry about it. In other words, don't count on the rain to water your trees, just make sure YOU aren't overwatering. This is kind of a tricky thing when it rains a lot--you have to be able to tell when the tree needs water and not just tipping a watering can on it every day at the same time, whether the plant needs it or not.
Got it and very helpful! Thank you! 👌

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Cider vinegar, white vinegar, any vinegar does not matter. It is just the acid that is important and all vinegar has acetic acid. I use 50/50 vinegar/water solution and spray it on the areas that need treatment. Just a light spray is all that's needed. Vinegar works by contact so will only affect the area you spray - spray right round the trunk if needed. Algae will grow back after a month or so if conditions are still conducive.
Agree that rain is rarely a problem so leave it out where it is but only water when it gets a bit dry.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cider vinegar, white vinegar, any vinegar does not matter. It is just the acid that is important and all vinegar has acetic acid. I use 50/50 vinegar/water solution and spray it on the areas that need treatment. Just a light spray is all that's needed. Vinegar works by contact so will only affect the area you spray - spray right round the trunk if needed. Algae will grow back after a month or so if conditions are still conducive.
Agree that rain is rarely a problem so leave it out where it is but only water when it gets a bit dry.
Will do!! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me!! ☺️

Happy 4th!!! 💥

Top Bottom