What is this odd caterpillar?

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
image.jpg
I found 2 of these a few leaves apart on a wild cherry tree in my back yard. I thought it was an undigested caterpillar a bird ate. After poking one lightly (curiosity got the best of me) I saw it move then found the other one.
I googled bird poop caterpillar but non looked like these so I'm not sure thats what it is.

Help or info would be great. My first instinct is eww kill it!! But I want to know first if they are bad besides it eating up my cherry tree.

Thanks in advance
Kevin

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have never met any caterpillar that does not destroy all it feeds on. My advise is to remove and control them - sounds nasty but be realistic. You are not controlling the entire earth, just a very tiny space. That is my opinion...

Grimmy

Forujames

Seedling
Reaction score
I don't know my northern cats-but all cats are very specific about what they eat-if you have a plant it likes, it can be devoured in a day-but they won't go from, say, milkweed to passionvine-in Florida our Giant Swallowtail has a cat that looks like that-bird dropping-like for it 'defense'.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you can remove them, and place them far away from the bonsai, and there are few of them, I would do that first. Cherry trees are a first choice of many insects, and are actually good to keep the insects from more valuable plants. Crabapple too. I keep a trap crop of crab whips off to t he side of my trees....

Top Bottom