What is this on my Chinese Wisteria?

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I noticed one of my Wisteria was looking stressed and then saw this leaf. I don't see any other leaf like this.
I assume they are eggs of some kind.
20190828_163752.jpg

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hard to tell for sure, but looks like Lady Beetle eggs. The ones I got are were white eggs too- not the yellow eggs.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This was a banner year for aphids...but I haven't seen any in months.

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Definitely NOT aphids. But if aphids were a banner year for you, it would make sense, because then it's probably a banner year for Lady Beetles too!

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Butterfly or moth, Lepidoptera possibly?
...if this was only on one leaf, gotta appreciate her tenacity -all eggs on one basket.
You could try to hatch them.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I found the below image online.
Good news is that it looks like lady bug eggs it the right call...bad news is it does not explain why my wisteria is looking stressed. Maybe just heat/water, I will have to look at it closer when I get home tonight.
Thanks for all the help!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You WANT those eggs if they are lady bug eggs. Only the larval form of the ladbybug beetle consumes aphids, etc. the adults don't

The "damage" on the leaves is probably due to watering issues. It's not from the bug.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ladybug eggs are yellow here in Europe. Blackish and brownish eggs are more common in caterpilars.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Anyone know if there are any significant differences in the water needs of Chinese vs American wisteria?
My two American wisteria are thriving, but the Chinese wisteria seems to be showing bowing at the tips and edges of its foliage (will try to get pix tonight if I can).
All seemed to do well through the worst of our heat. The Chinese wisteria has shown very little growth since the beginning of summer but otherwise looked quite healthy.
I cut back on watering a little over a week ago when it started to cool off a bit (highs <95F/35C) so I expect I probably need to go back to the increased watering for a while longer.
Maybe also move the Chinese wisteria so it gets partial shade?

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Water water...I put mine on the ground which is mostly grass when it gets hot like yesterday... But you know there are like 50,000 variables and micro-climates that effect. Yeah post up some pics! I have about 20 of the miniatures Milettia japonica (not really wisteria family) which are growing crazy-ass right now and the reg Chinese ones too- both though unrelated are water hogs I have found... Those darn delicate leaves lose lots of water apparently.

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Water water...I put mine on the ground which is mostly grass when it gets hot like yesterday... But you know there are like 50,000 variables and micro-climates that effect. Yeah post up some pics! I have about 20 of the miniatures Milettia japonica (not really wisteria family) which are growing crazy-ass right now and the reg Chinese ones too- both though unrelated are water hogs I have found... Those darn delicate leaves lose lots of water apparently.

Crazy-ass growth. Hime Fuji (miniature wisteria)

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would definitely not panic about it. Just looks like summer left burn/drying. Also you have that guy up high it seems on a bench? They also seem to like to stay a little lower to the ground or on the ground in my experience. If you can't do that you can also group it close with another tree- Also like winter protection and that increases the humidity a bit. I do this in those hot spells here in Portland- like yesterday.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soil's too lean. If the pot is in full sun, it ain't helping. Heat stress. I'd shade the pot and get a shallow saucer like pot to place the plant in. fill the saucerish pot with water, so the bottom two or three inches of the wisteria's root system is submerged.

Top Bottom