What is this on my Dwarf Barbados Cherry?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I thought this was a maybe a flower bract developing, but looking at Joe's flowers, I guess not. Anybody know what it is? It's feathery looking. The tree has new growth, so doesn't seem unhealthy in any way.BARBADOS CHERRY2.jpg

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Dunno, but I would like to know as well.

I just trimmed my Barbados Cherry this morning. The thing is growing out of control!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dunno, but I would like to know as well.

I just trimmed my Barbados Cherry this morning. The thing is growing out of control!
I was going to ask how it was doing, did you repot it into a colander or anything?

This is what the flowers look like:

Attachments

• 0818161024b-1.jpg
    0818161024b-1.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 32

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I was going to ask how it was doing, did you repot it into a colander or anything?

The flowers look beautiful. Mine hasn't flowered in quite awhile, but it went through some serious stress being repotted and fighting off bugs/iguanas.

In the spring, I plan on putting it into a colander, it needs quite a bit of growth, it's really just a twisted stick right now.

I'll post a pic when I get home.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The flowers look beautiful. Mine hasn't flowered in quite awhile, but it went through some serious stress being repotted and fighting off bugs/iguanas.

In the spring, I plan on putting it into a colander, it needs quite a bit of growth, it's really just a twisted stick right now.

I'll post a pic when I get home.
It'd be better to do it in early-mid summer IMO

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought this was a maybe a flower bract developing, but looking at Joe's flowers, I guess not. Anybody know what it is? It's feathery looking. The tree has new growth, so doesn't seem unhealthy in any way.View attachment 114442
Is that actually attached to/growing from the tree? Or could it be something that dropped or blew onto the tree from elsewhere?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Is that actually attached to/growing from the tree? Or could it be something that dropped or blew onto the tree from elsewhere?
That's what I thought at first too, but it seems to be attached. I'll check for sure when I go home for lunch. Boy, if that's the case, I'm going to look like a dumb ass!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unfortunately the camera didn't really focus on the "thing" so it's hard to really see what it looks like. And I've never grown this species so I don't have anything to compare.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'll try and get a better picture

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
OMG, I am officially a dumb ass! It was just a piece of moss blown over from another tree, I swore it was attached. My apologies for wasting every ones time, but thanks for trying to help. Maybe, you could head over to the Flowering forum, and check out my Lavender Star Flower thread. I swear that is real, and actually attached to the tree!!! I'm sorry.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
OMG, I am officially a dumb ass! It was just a piece of moss blown over from another tree, I swore it was attached. My apologies for wasting every ones time, but thanks for trying to help. Maybe, you could head over to the Flowering forum, and check out my Lavender Star Flower thread. I swear that is real, and actually attached to the tree!!! I'm sorry.

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! This made my day!

And how is it that you have all the same trees I have. I've got a Lavendar Star too!

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B

Here's my BC. He's shaggy, but hasn't put out any fruit since we brought him home last year.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 29

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here's my BC. He's shaggy, but hasn't put out any fruit since we brought him home last year.
Mine hasnt set fruit either since I got him last December, although this is the second time its bloomed. I highly doubt it will srt fruit after a recent cutback and repot, but we'll see!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! This made my day!

And how is it that you have all the same trees I have. I've got a Lavendar Star too!
Glad my stupidity made you laugh:confused:. All my trees are tropical/sub-tropical. I don't have a good over wintering area, or the knowledge to tackle anything else yet. Except for one azalea, hoping I can keep it alive over the winter.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine hasnt set fruit either since I got him last December, although this is the second time its bloomed. I highly doubt it will srt fruit after a recent cutback and repot, but we'll see!
What do you do with it in the winter? Do you have special lighting? I have a brush cherry that did fine in my southern exposure patio door area last winter.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Glad my stupidity made you laugh:confused:. All my trees are tropical/sub-tropical. I don't have a good over wintering area, or the knowledge to tackle anything else yet. Except for one azalea, hoping I can keep it alive over the winter.

Wasn't stupidity, just an honest mistake.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Eh, we've all been there!

Bad thing is this is the internet, so it will be here forever for all to see!
That's very comforting, lol. :(

Top Bottom