What is this?

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
I have bought this little tree a year ago and left it ouside. I started to work on it now, but need some help. First I'm not entirely sure what kind of tree it is.
Second I've attached a few pics and would lke to know what you old ake of it!

Attachments

• Conifer 1.jpg
    Conifer 1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Conifer 2.jpg
    Conifer 2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Conifer 3.jpg
    Conifer 3.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Conifer 4.jpg
    Conifer 4.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Conifer 5.jpg
    Conifer 5.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 34

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
Here are 2 more!

I think it lends itself to a cascade style, but am not sure.

Attachments

• Conifer 6.jpg
    Conifer 6.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Conifer 7.jpg
    Conifer 7.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 24

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
GVE, It appears to be a yew, what variety I can't say. With the large needles I would venture a guess and say Japanese (taxus cuspidata). Can we get one more picture with a neutral background. Would be much easier to help you with a style suggestion. There is a lot of distraction in your pic.

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to put my name at the bottom!

Gerhard

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
Hope this is better Tom.

Attachments

• Conifer 11.jpg
    Conifer 11.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Conifer 10.jpg
    Conifer 10.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 25
  • Conifer 9.jpg
    Conifer 9.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Conifer 8.jpg
    Conifer 8.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 18

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
Here are 2 more Tom.

Gerhard

Attachments

• Conifer 13.jpg
    Conifer 13.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Conifer 12.jpg
    Conifer 12.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 20

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
The needles are actually very tiny as you can see on one photo. On the last 2 pics the cascade is on the right. On photo 3 and 4 it is on the left. There is this branch that is in the middle front on pic 3 & 4. I don't know what to do about. Also the branch going upward in pic 5. The branch in my hand, pic 6, must it go? You can see it lying flat in pic 5.

Thanks
Gerhard

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well I'm wrong. Its not a yew picture #1 of the second set shows that to me. Now I'm thinking Larch

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Juniper, exact species evades me at this moment but I have them planted in the landscape. I am thinking Juniper conferta...

Here is a link.

cbobgo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
definitely not a yew or larch. I agree with juniper, possibly common juniper, but the needles are a little smaller.

You've got a bunch or branches going every which way - are you wanting to keep it as a clump, or were you wanting to make it look more like a tree?

- bob

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It looks like either Junipers Communis, common Juniper, or Juniperus Conferta, Shore Juniper.

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Bob I want to get rid of some of the branches, but is still too inexperienced to know which ones should go and which should stay. Please help!!
Thanks
Gerhard

Jon Chown

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi Gerhard,

A very trying piece of stock you have there and perhaps not the best for your first attempt, however, looking at your first photo, it appears that there are either two plants in the one pot or it is a twin trunk. While I can't see all of the branches, looking at your finger size to trunk caliper, I believe that with some 5mm wire you may well be able to attempt a twin trunk design.

Jon

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
Jon, it is indeed a twin trunk. Do you really think with the amount of bend in the trunks, it is possible to get them upright in a twin trunk style? I thought it would be "easier" to try a semi cascade, although I do not yet know what to do with the branch that I put upright for the moment. The branches seem to be a bit brittle. If this is the way to go, I think it would take a couple of years before those trunks are anywhere near usable!

Gerhard

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It looks like either Junipers Communis, common Juniper, or Juniperus Conferta, Shore Juniper.

GVE, could you tell us where you bought it? Is it a tree that occurs locally in Switzerland, or is it something you bought from a bonsai nursery? I was even going to suggest a Needle Juniper (Juniperus rigida) especially if you got it from a japanese nursery.

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
Bnut, I bought it from a nursery that sells bonsai as well as other plants. On the label it only said "assorted conifer". I have often seen them at nurseries, but do not know if it is indigenous.

Gerhard

Jon Chown

Yamadori
Reaction score
Gerhard

Do you really think with the amount of bend in the trunks, it is possible to get them upright in a twin trunk style? I thought it would be "easier" to try a semi cascade,

I have done it in the past, although I would not necessarily attempt to do it in one go. I'm sure that the cascade would perhaps be the easier style to produce. Which ever way you go, I think that you will learn that it is better to choose better stock than what you have and this in itself will be your best lesson.

Jon

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Gerhard

I have done it in the past, although I would not necessarily attempt to do it in one go. I'm sure that the cascade would perhaps be the easier style to produce. Which ever way you go, I think that you will learn that it is better to choose better stock than what you have and this in itself will be your best lesson.

Jon

That is the best and most honest advise you could possibly get. Sure there are some things you could do with this tree but the real issue is in your choice of material, in that you need to train yourself to find better material or resign yourself to second rate results and years of frustration.

I know it is the way things work; one asks for styling advise and cultivational advise but in the end, the lesson of looking for good stock is neither taught nor learned. Because of that, the same mistakes are made over and over again until some point, when years of work does not seem to be paying off, the realization that maybe using better material to begin with might hasten the process and improve the results.

Last edited:

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
Great advice, lesson learned, next question...
What are the basic principles in chosing stock?

Gerhard

PS: Sorry I have to be so tenacious, but I cannot let the opportunity pass without learning this too!!

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
And by the way... Thanks, you are great teachers.

Top Bottom