What is this?

BigLog

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Any idea what this is and could I use it for bonsai? I planted it 7-8 years ago and I want to remove it. Thought maybe it could be trimmed/shaped into something nice? Thanks. B3064CA1-CC8A-4A56-A07C-827B6D13CBEC.jpeg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Blue star juniper, hard to tell from the pictures if it's usable. I've never had good luck with them even as landscape plants.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any idea what this is and could I use it for bonsai? I planted it 7-8 years ago and I want to remove it. Thought maybe it could be trimmed/shaped into something nice? Thanks. View attachment 188307
Blue Star as suggested. Does well in bonsai free draining mix, full sun. Suitable for shohin, smaller cascade, can have very interesting short contorted trunks. pains to work with due to sharp foliage. Here is what the foliage looks like when healthy. These two are in a south facing bed outside the kitchen window.

Attachments

• IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    615.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    628 KB · Views: 25

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Blue Star as suggested. Does well in bonsai free draining mix, full sun. Suitable for shohin, smaller cascade, can have very interesting short contorted trunks. pains to work with due to sharp foliage. Here is what the foliage looks like when healthy. These two are in a south facing bed outside the kitchen window.
Here is a snapshot of the typical base trunk that is a nice start for a small bonsai. The trunk is about 2 1/2 inches at the base and tapers quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_1013.JPG
    IMG_1013.JPG
    438.4 KB · Views: 21

BigLog

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is what I came up with. I took the healthiest looking part (bluish color) and potted it. Then I started hacking away! Am I on the right track? I was thinking about cutting individual buds shorter, but wasn’t sure. I’m hoping for a wind-swept look after I wire it. EDA8F521-6212-4A3B-8833-6833FB096735.jpeg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is how they look like in winter. The Sun and epsom salt might help.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is what I came up with. I took the healthiest looking part (bluish color) and potted it. Then I started hacking away! Am I on the right track? I was thinking about cutting individual buds shorter, but wasn’t sure. I’m hoping for a wind-swept look after I wire it. View attachment 188416
I think the foliage type is more suited to pads and cascade type styles then the windswept look. Not to say one cannot try it that way. I just try to go with the the strengths of the species i am working with. For example the blue star is a ground type juniper so i would choose a lower profile style then windswept. The foliage is smaller so i would tend towards a more compact style. Just some thoughts about the way i would approach styling.
If you like the look when you are done then that is what counts in your garden.

Top Bottom