What is this?

kmdesigns

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've had this shimpaku for awhile and it's had this ever since I've had it. It's happy and healthy, but it has all these little dead ends to some of the foliage. Can you guys tell me what it means?

Attachments

• DSCN0166.JPG
    DSCN0166.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN0167.JPG
    DSCN0167.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 102

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It could be Phomopsis (fungus) or one of it's cousins or it could be Juniper twig girdler (insect) or it could be pet urine. Drought and mechanical damage is another possibility.
Wood
http://thingsofwood-gary.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It could be Phomopsis (fungus) or one of it's cousins or it could be Juniper twig girdler (insect) or it could be pet urine.
Wood

Or it could be shaded branches, or it could be that someone used their scissors to prune, or it could be.....I'd remove it and see if it comes back.

kmdesigns

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I don't think it has to do with pruning with shears because some of it is on foliage that doesn't have any pruning near it. I looked up the fungus and I don't think its that because its in small amounts and spread all over the tree, but I really don't know for sure. I couldn't find any signs of a girdler, but I did find a spider living in the apex of the tree. Could that be it? Thanks for the suggestions.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It's possible you are seeing the polen cones of the species. If you could manage a close up, that would be helpful.

Top Bottom