What is this

americanelmer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My son ripped this out of a planter in his pool. It laid out in the sun for three days with no soil on the roots. I took it and put it in a bucket of water for 3 days and then planted it in a mix of Hydroton rocks and turface in an Anderson flat.

About a week later with a lot of watering little green buds started popping out on the trunk. Last week it started to grow flower buds and yesterday the flowers opened.

Yesterday I saw a few of these for sale at BJ's wholesale club but there was no identification of the plant.
Here is a shot of the base and one of the flower buds and flowers.

This plant is growing in the Tampa Fl Area

If any one knows what this is I would be grateful for the info.

Attachments

• unknown_2.jpg
    unknown_2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 114
  • unknown_1.jpg
    unknown_1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 108

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Kinda looks like a Wisteria to me...

americanelmer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ok got the name of this one from my lawn guy.
it is: Duranta erecta. Common Names: golden dewdrop, pigeonberry, skyflower. Family: Verbenaceae

Every day it gets more and more flowers and look more elegant. I will take some foots and post them tomorrow.
I don't know if anyone has used this for a bonsai but so far it looks very promising. I will continue to post updates on this plant.

Stu

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ok got the name of this one from my lawn guy.
it is: Duranta erecta. Common Names: golden dewdrop, pigeonberry, skyflower. Family: Verbenaceae

Every day it gets more and more flowers and look more elegant. I will take some foots and post them tomorrow.
I don't know if anyone has used this for a bonsai but so far it looks very promising. I will continue to post updates on this plant.

Stu

Or that....:eek:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From Wiki...

"The leaves and berries of the plant are toxic, and are confirmed to have killed children, dogs and cats."

If this info is accurate, please take necessary precautions and be careful.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've never met a dog that didn't chew on plants of some kind once in a while. better safe than sorry

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
Yeah, they grow everywhere in Taiwan and have not heard yet of a case of poisoning.

Mind you, a few years back the street dogs were dropping mysteriously....perhaps they got a taste for golden dewdrops

Top Bottom