What is too cold for a hard cut back on amur?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I'm wanting to do a proper hard cut back on a couple of my amur and I want to do it before buds start to swell. Its getting into the high 30s, low 40s during the day with nice sun but is still freezing at night.

Is this too cold to cut back now? It might be another two months before all the danger of frost has passed.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Perfect, thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would always cut before deep dormancy, so a bit of healing would take place.

Maybe you should glue up the holes afterward, just in case.

I have no experience with this timing. But it seems they'll leak in spring.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just spent the afternoon cutting back a 4ft / 5K bonsai in my school. Tree was weeping left right and centre. No concern to the owner who has been a professional bonsai grower for the last 4 decades. He just gave me the LARGE concave cutters to take out some 2 inch branches from the canopy.

I think we worry too much over little things that do not really matter to the trees.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I had a bit of weeping on one of the trees but just a few drops, none on the other.
A couple years ago I cut my norway maple at the wrong time and that damn thing bled for days. Didn't hurt it or slow it down in the least.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn't hurt it or slow it down in the least.

Opening up for the potential is not worth the risk IMO.

Them bugs can smell that gushing sap for miles!

Lucking out isn't worth adding to a regular schedule!

IMO.

Little things are only little things until they become big things, then we wish we would have kept on preventing that little thing.

I have an idea that a tree knows, and it does, when pathogens are present. There's not much else to account for why trees bleed sometimes and sometimes not.

So what if a tree leaks, as we sneeze, to keep the output output to prevent input?

What if as long as x ppm of that pathogen is present in the atmosphere, or on near trees, the tree keeps leaking, to keep itself safe?

That entirely possible scenario makes it completely unpredictable, death resulting at worst, so preventing it remains important.

We bleed for the same reason, output, to prevent input of infection.

Sorce

Top Bottom