What is your favorite deciduous material?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
What is your favorite deciduous tree to make into a bonsai ?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Old, mature trunks with decent taper, good movement and a great nebari without visible traces of prior work

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Old, mature trunks with decent taper, good movement and a great nebari without visible traces of prior work
I was talking about species and of course everyone likes great nebari and movement with taper

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hornbeam, Korean prefferably, J. Maples most varieties.

LooselyWired

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I’m sure answers will vary partially based upon species that do well in each zone. For the cold winters here (Iowa), I like Amur maples. They are pretty bulletproof

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nobody can have just one.

FLowering quince - Chaenomeles hybrids - my favorite cultivars are 'Contorted White' and 'Iwai Nishiki', I have a love-hate relationship with 'Chojubai' - I love the photos of old 'Chojubai', I am regularly disappointed by the performance of my "live in person" young plant of 'Chojubai'. Also 'Scarlet Doubletake' which is a commercial nursery version of 'Iwai Nishiki', very lovely and nice and vigorous and disease resistant. Probably 'Scarlet Doubletake' is the best Chaenomeles for beginners.

Ginkgo - my second most favorite deciduous.

Dawn Redwood - Metasequoia - Like an even more vigorous bald cypress, with additional winter hardiness. Technically a conifer, as is ginkgo, but it is also deciduous.

Stewartia monadelpha - the redbrown bark of Stewartia is just lovely. Haven't had flowers yet. Good red & orange & yellow autumn blend.

Amelanchier x grandiflora - Serviceberry. The early spring flowers before the leaves - the middle summer red to purple edible fruit, and the nice orange autumn colors. The smooth gray bark reminds one of a beech or hornbeam when fruit and flowers are not in season. ALso incredible good winter hardiness. What's not to like?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hornbeam,JBP,Zelkova.....I have to say I developed a liking for good ole’ chinese elm.
Not to mention also my cryptomeria are growing faster than I initially thought they would.........kind of cool really...the foliage

Attachments

• D366155F-6493-483E-8E01-DCEC189739EC.jpeg
    D366155F-6493-483E-8E01-DCEC189739EC.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 23B0D894-D2F2-4880-B005-87EE6EC58916.jpeg
    23B0D894-D2F2-4880-B005-87EE6EC58916.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 12
  • 177995A0-D8CC-46D6-AD4B-A5B109416E5F.jpeg
    177995A0-D8CC-46D6-AD4B-A5B109416E5F.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 19

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zelkova, Cork Bark Elm, Japanese maples (Particularly arakawa and deshojo varieties)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In conclusion.. I think it might be better to ask which species people prefer NOT to use for bonsai. Each person will have their own favorite and their reasons. But there are a bunch of species to avoid certainly if you are just beginning. Think of wallnut, horsechestnut, platanus spp., Acer platanoides.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In conclusion.. I think it might be better to ask which species people prefer NOT to use for bonsai. Each person will have their own favorite and their reasons. But there are a bunch of species to avoid certainly if you are just beginning. Think of wallnut, horsechestnut, platanus spp., Acer platanoides.
There is already a thread like that somewhere that got tons of replies, no need for another please🥴

Top Bottom