What is your favorite soil to use and why?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have tried every soil ingredient under the sun, even some that people have never heard of. I used to have a strange obsession with soil components, I had to try everything, every species of tree/ cactus/ orchid/ etc. went into its own customized (sifted to size according to species, inorganic/Organic fractionalized according to species) soil mix. After a while I just realized I was making things ridiculously complicated. Now- For all my trees I start with a basic 111 mix of turface mvp- sifted over a 1/8 inch screen, "reptibark" fir bark- sifted over a 1/4 inch screen then sifted over a 1/8 inch screen, and "manapro chicken grit" crushed granite sifted over a 1/4 inch screen then sifted over a 1/8 inch screen. I adjust the turface and granite fractions for conifers but always keep the fir bark at no more than 1/3rd of the overall mix. I always rinse my components thoroughly with r/o water after sifting and before mixing. This mix never fails to hold it's structure until the next repot and that is what matters to me, there a many other ingredients i could substitute to get the same results but these are easy for me to find. If I didn't sift I would have way too much water retention and the roots would suffocate. If I used composted bark it would break down to quickly and fail to hold it's structure until the next repot. I water using only r/o water that has foliage pro 936 diluted into it at 1.25 ml per gallon and I flush the pots every once in a while to rid myself of mineral buildup however under these conditions it's usually not a problem.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Post # 34, good soil is only unconventional in the teenie tiny world of bonsai.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Changing my answer… Conifers (Montezuma cypress)...100% pumice. 😜

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have my favorite soil and it does everything I ask of it .......so............... think about this. What did the Chinese use for soil in their containerized plants? Evidently, it wasn't akadama, yet they were succesful for hundreds of years before the newcomer Japanese came along and changed the art into what we now know as bonsai. It seems curious to me that Japanese bonsai originated in a place that just happened to have the "perfect" soil. Don't use akadama and don't care if you use it. It might be "better" than what I use.....don't know. My stuff, in my climate, will make a stump look pretty danged good in 4 months. That's plenty good for me.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
75% kittydama 25% bark is my basis.
But adjust according to requirements of the tree.
My Betula nana's are in a potting soil/sphagnum mixture as it is a species that grows in very wet places where other trees can't grow.

sierrajuniper

Sapling
Reaction score
I’m reading thru all these posts and thinking to myself: “why does everyone try to make this so hard?”

I really don’t get it...

My basic mix is APL, which I can fine tune a bit by adding more pumice or akadama to make it less or more water retentive if I feel the need to do so. If some REALLY needs mire water retention I can add a layer of orchid moss spaghnum to the surface. I grow in full sun, in Georgia.

I use a slow release organic fertilizer with occasional doses of fish emulsion.

I’m not trying to perform rocket science! Just grow some trees!

Deciduous, conifer, really doesn’t matter. They all get the same stuff! Except azalea, which gets straight Kanuma.

I think my results speak for themselves. Keep it simple!
Hi Adair,

What organic cake do you use? thank you.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Adair,

What organic cake do you use? thank you.
I use the stuff imported in the big tins. It comes in two sizes, I prefer the little ones. It’s unfortunately rather expensive, but it works good. They’re mostly cotton seed meal, I think.

Top Bottom