What is your favorite tree to bonsai?

SHO_Gunner85

Seedling
Reaction score
I am still new to bonsai but the reason I got into it was because of the trees on karate kid haha. My favorite right now is probably the most common one out there but the Japanese garden juniper procumbens nana and or golden curl willow tree.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Hands down Shimpaku juniper. Because I understand it's growth pattern better than other trees and have worked with them the longest and have had good luck messing around with them and trying new things. Plus they're super hardy and the mature foliage is pretty and does not poke (like my Japanese garden juniper or my super poky Colorado spruces).
Balsam fir is a close second!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been thinking about getting this one but don't wanna spend the money on it right now haha
Do not get that one. It is a rip-off.
As an example, this was around the 50euro mark:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ponderosa Pine but could be Bristlecone Pine If could find a good Yamadori tree or two😍.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Anything maple. And anything that I discovered while out in the world and collected or cultivated.

Right now its my Acer rubrum. Hoping to turn it into two or three Acer rubrums.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
1st place by far = scotts pine (it has small needles, relatively light/thin branches and various decorative barks : from the thin JWP bark to the deep JBP bark... Sometimes even deep like corticosa JBP).

Second place = acer palmatum & its cultivars

Third place = European or Ezo spruce (very small needles and decorative bark)

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Welcome! Until I get better with everything my favorite is elms. Basically free, grow fast and hardy.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Too many to name, but Japanese Maple, Japanese White Pine, Shimpaku, Hinoki, and Korean Hornbeam round out the top five. There are others...

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Zelkova, trident, regular jm, JBP, portulacaria, dawn redwood and coast redwood

Gaff74

Seedling
Reaction score
What a great thread! My collection is limited and all fairly young. The Jaqueline Hillier Elm is interesting. I have several Douglas Firs, none very old, with surprising variety in how they look and grow. I have some dwarf trees that might not qualify as bonsai so much as jut small trees and shrubs: Boyd’s willow, Sawara false cypress, Cryptomeria japonica “birodo”, and a dwarf Mugo Pine (pumilo).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Black Hills Spruce hands down, for the understanding of growth like @Mayank knows shimpaku, which, I don't get for the life of me!

Go bid on @mwar15 auction. It's still reasonably priced!

Sorce

Top Bottom