AJL

Chumono
Reaction score

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We're getting to the point where every genus has been covered and people are going to have to make up names...

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Acer palmatum and other deciduous : they are under-represented in magazines and shows.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The first tree to survive long term in my care, was a favorite,
Punica granatum, or Pomegranate.

They are easy to work with, very resilient, and will come back even after being forgotten for a week without water. I kept one going for 38 years, from the time I was a junior in high school through college, surviving 2 times a year changes of apartments and living situations, through my nomadic years right after college. It survived dog attacks, children around the house and other disasters.
They have nice flowers and small leaves. Great tree for bonsai.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
We're getting to the point where every genus has been covered

Isn't there a "start a poll" option or something ?

Not that polls mean nothing more than a photo of a moment, but I'm sure it would be interesting.

Not that a majority of "juniper" would mean anything either. A lot of people who don't have junipers, or only crappy ones, could place their vote for them because they are impressed by the pics from "Kokufu", and perhaps those who responded "catalpa" have fantastic trees.

The flock of sheep versus the artists, or the scholars : that's one of the limits of democracy. The trap of democracy as troskyists (and fascists) would call it (though the fascists don't call it a trap, they just use it) .

I vaguely saw a thread about "philosophy" somewhere.

I love maples 😄

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Japanese white and Japanese Black Pine.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I want to get a Shimpaku. Do you have any pictures of yours?
Here's a picture of my little one and one of the larger ones. Both need refinement and I need to get rid of the immature growth.

Attachments

• IMG-20200422-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20200422-WA0019.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-20200312-WA0031.jpg
    IMG-20200312-WA0031.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 29

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Acer palmatum and other deciduous : they are under-represented in magazines and shows.
This surprises me. Maybe because I got into Bonsai from watching Peter Chans YouTube videos, but I find most conifers to be painfully boring. Maples are so majestic with so much variety, color and leaf shape. I guess I find many tropicals boring as well, but that's likely because of climate envy.

arjun

Yamadori
Reaction score
favourite tree to bonsai..ummm...the ones that are still green and alive! haha jk.... Maples and Pines for me :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maples and juniper, specifically shimpaku. I prefer deciduous in general though because they require more messing with.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Korean Hornbeam. Love the habit, the small leaves, the spring and fall colors, and white bark!!!

Top Bottom