What is your screen width?

With what screen width do you view Bonsai Nut?

• 640 pixels wide (VGA)(or less)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 800 pixels wide

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 1024 pixels wide (XGA)

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • 1280 pixels wide (720i)

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • 1440 pixels wide

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • 1680 pixels wide

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • 1900 pixels wide (1080p) or wider

Votes: 16 29.6%

• Total voters

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
since we are measuring monitors e-peni .....

dual 22's at work... ( it was that or triple 19" )
Home desktop = 22 " ( Duals soon enough )
laptop #1 = 15" - core dev machine
laptop #2 = 13" - ultra portable dev machine
laptop #3 = 7" - netbook
Phone #1 = 3.2" - HTC Hero
TV #1 = 36" TV via VGA (Media Center) <-- hey its still a computer

ok now who has the 30" Mac monitors? come on you know you wanna tell us

@ subnet_rx your numbers are far more correct than most but they should be changing in the future as new machines start to come with larger monitors and higher resolutions (those two things are mutually exclusive ) my 13" machine is running at 1900 (with large fonts). your suggestion of 960 (aka 960 grid system) is standard practice and i would agree its a good idea...

@BonsaiNut I wasn't aware that the vBulletin platform (the product that runs this site) allowed control over the design of the site by width.... thats an interesting bit of information.... is that something new in the latest installed version or has it been there for some time?

LOL

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@BonsaiNut I wasn't aware that the vBulletin platform (the product that runs this site) allowed control over the design of the site by width.... thats an interesting bit of information.... is that something new in the latest installed version or has it been there for some time?

Not the forum software, but my custom pages. On the front page, for example, I use some fixed column widths. It is not optimal, but it is hard to create the perfect layout for numerous resolutions (as I'm sure you know). Right now the center column is the variable one, but what happens is that some content gets pushed to the bottom of the page on lower resolutions.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
lol honestly I wouldn't know about the layout issues... I'm not all that great of a designer (I have my good days) .... I leave that up to the folks who know that... Most of my work is done on the core software that drives web applications....

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
lol honestly I wouldn't know about the layout issues... I'm not all that great of a designer (I have my good days) .... I leave that up to the folks who know that... Most of my work is done on the core software that drives web applications....

Well, I would not hold vBulletin up as a "best in class" example of a consumer friendly application. The back-end is very customizable, but the default application (default toolset / control panel) is not very user friendly. To get a nice result, you almost HAVE to customize the software, and then with each software upgrade you have to manually upgrade your customizations, etc. It is a lot of work.

Probably the bane of web site design is the use of fixed images in the design. These do not scale well :) In my case, I wanted an image of a Japanese garden in the background. I had to make this image fixed, while all of the content that overlays it had to be variable width. I still get emails from people who want to know how I did it :) On good days, I can even remember how :)

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In my case, I wanted an image of a Japanese garden in the background. I had to make this image fixed, while all of the content that overlays it had to be variable width. I still get emails from people who want to know how I did it :) On good days, I can even remember how :)

lol.... gradients are a great thing and so is css.... that I can actually figure out... mostly my issues are with layout/design (2 columns or 3 etc)... the technical aspects of how to get cross browser content working and layout hacking aren't so bad... things like colors and font sizes are another issue.... etc.... I do alright tho as I was once both a dev and a designer... but now i just prefer to write code.... you get less credit as most people never see what it is you do... but thats ok... because I know it keeps the company running.... they let us work our own way (Agile/Scrum Kaizen) and we GSD .... that makes customers happy.

Top Bottom