What is your weather like?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is a thread that I always enjoyed at the Bsite, while people kept it up. Informative about other climates than my own. And you can see the patterns across the country coming your way, and trends. So what is your weather like?

We have had so much wind this fall, all the leaves got beat up pretty good. The bonsai have been in the wind house or the greenhouse for the most part, as it's been getting pretty cold. But the trees around the place are not as good fall color as the wind took it's toll. And it's been raining again... We are 10" over normal for the year so far. And more coming.

Shimpaku

Yamadori
Reaction score
In recent years, the weather turns dramatically cold overnight--literally. I live 20 miles north of Baltimore Maryland. A cold snap is coming tomorrow and probably stay, as opposed to teasing with highs in the 70's as Tuesday was.

The winds have been relatively calm for fall (in this area) and the trees are at their peak colors in change. I predict a mild winter this year. We have been hit pretty hard with snow falls dumping 12" or more at once in the past few years.

The trees will stay out a little longer before sheltering and come out a little sooner than usual from dormancy--just my feelings about this year in Maryland--Zone 7.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Warm and dry for most of October here in N. GA. Due for a bit of rain and a cool down starting tomorrow, but we need alot of rain to impact the drought we've had over the last 6 months. At least the drought has brought billiant fall colors to the south this year...reminds me of home.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's been a very mild fall so far, but we're supposed to get some snow tonight. I still have some larch on my bench that are still green

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In recent years, the weather turns dramatically cold overnight--literally. I live 20 miles north of Baltimore Maryland. A cold snap is coming tomorrow and probably stay, as opposed to teasing with highs in the 70's as Tuesday was.

The winds have been relatively calm for fall (in this area) and the trees are at their peak colors in change. I predict a mild winter this year. We have been hit pretty hard with snow falls dumping 12" or more at once in the past few years.

The trees will stay out a little longer before sheltering and come out a little sooner than usual from dormancy--just my feelings about this year in Maryland--Zone 7.

From all the indicators I've seen, it'll be a very cold winter. All the geese in the area have left for the winter, have been gone for almost a month, really early. And usually we have some that overwinter here, but they are all gone. Also the wooly bear caterpillars are showing their cold weather pattern. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's a la nina year too, so that would make it like last year.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The weather people have gotten so caught up with the whole "el Nino" "la Nina" thing that they over-emphasize it. They also need to take Spanish classes, because their creation of "la Nina" (the female Christ child) doesn't make any sense. El Nino conditions only happen about once a decade - at least where the conditions are strong enough to have a discernible impact on mainland North America. I hate when mass media dumbs down science because they think people are too stupid to follow basic weather patterns.

Rant off :) Southern California is located right at the meeting of four major weather influencers. On one side we have the ocean, which moderates us. On the other side is the desert, with its extremes. Depending on which way the wind blows (literally) we are either cool and damp, or dry and hot. Most of the time our winter weather rolls down from the NW from Alaska. These bring our cold winter storms where we get snow in the mountains and temps down into the 40's by the beach. These rains tend to be misty with only moderate accumulation. The big rains we occasionally get come from the south - from Mexico and the Gulf (SE) or el Nino storms from the deep Pacific (SW). These are the big flood rains where the weather is warm and humid and the storms dump a ton of rain in a short period of time. These are the rains when you see us on national news :)

Bottom line - high variability with lots of micro-climates within a somewhat narrow temperate range (at least as long as you are within 20 miles of the ocean). So far - nothing big that would impact you folks in the rest of the country :)

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Snowing right now.
First snow for my new aussie, he just spent about a half hour outside burning around the yard and jumping up and trying to bite the snow flakes. We just came in and he's whining by the door to go outside again
Could be a long winter
My last one loved the snow too
snow jazz.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fangorn,

Ahhhh, Aussies in the snow. I have two currently, had three for the pack before these. They all do that snow biting thing. And they can't get enough of it. Beautiful tri you have there, what's his name?

Bnut,

I had heard many times that the el nino and la nina, effect the jet stream patterns, thus affecting the weather patterns throughout the country. At any rate, seems like a cold winter in store this year by the local signals.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here are Beanie and Becker, last year, they can't wait for the snow... And doing what aussies do best -wrestlemania

Attachments

• P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 11
  • P1010011.jpg
    P1010011.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 12

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fangorn,

Ahhhh, Aussies in the snow. I have two currently, had three for the pack before these. They all do that snow biting thing. And they can't get enough of it. Beautiful tri you have there, what's his name?

His name was Jasper, but we called him Jazz. Lost him last Dec from hemangiosarcoma :(

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fangorn,

I had heard many times that the el nino and la nina, effect the jet stream patterns, thus affecting the weather patterns throughout the country. At any rate, seems like a cold winter in store this year by the local signals.

They've been getting the blame for us having over 20" of rain (so far) over our normal amount for the year

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
His name was Jasper, but we called him Jazz. Lost him last Dec from hemangiosarcoma :(

Sorry Fangorn, I know that feeling, lost 2 to the same thing within 3 months of each other almost 5 years ago. He was beautiful.
Pictures of your new pup coming soon???

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry Fangorn, I know that feeling, lost 2 to the same thing within 3 months of each other almost 5 years ago. He was beautiful.
Pictures of your new pup coming soon???

Thanks Judy, losing 2 dogs within 3 months had to suck big time, sorry
We wanted to wait for a bit before we got another. We figured spring but one thing lead to another and it wasn't until the end of July that we got Trace. His dad won best aussie at Westminster last year, and the breeder was thinking of keeping him, but she said his nose might not turn all black so we got him. His name has a double meaning because he is our third aussie (tres) I'm not sure what we will name the fourth, but I guess we'' cross that bridge when we come to it :)
Here's a video of him a few short months ago (you can see some of my trees in the background)
HERE

And here he is now
trace.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow, I'm going to get this going on a new thread since we've kinda taken over the weather idea with dogs... Look for it under... well you'll know when you see it!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anyway, looks like VA is getting snow tonight, & here where I live in OH we've been below freezing for the past few nights. Getting down to it quick this year! I for one can't wait for the snow... I hate hot weather, but I do love fall, so it could wait another week or so I guess.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Supposed to be getting around 6" of heavy snow tonight. They are saying that the snow along with high winds is going to cause some power outages :rolleyes:
This is the night we do our annual fall/harvest/Halloween party. We have a big bonfire in what used to be the vegetable garden eat food out of crock pots, carve pumpkins and drink Captain Morgan & cider (not necessarily in that order)
I think this year I'll get the wood stove going and move everything inside

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here we go...
bench.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Supposed to be getting around 6" of heavy snow tonight. They are saying that the snow along with high winds is going to cause some power outages :rolleyes:
This is the night we do our annual fall/harvest/Halloween party. We have a big bonfire in what used to be the vegetable garden eat food out of crock pots, carve pumpkins and drink Captain Morgan & cider (not necessarily in that order)
I think this year I'll get the wood stove going and move everything inside
Sounds great either way. Have fun!

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi All,
Guess I will ad to this.
On Thursday we had a high temp of 80F. Right now the temp is 39F and falling. We have had about 1.5 inches of rain & the wind is blowing to beat the band. My greenhouse now has it's full complement of tropicals & is holding at a nice 65F, just left it after working on removing wire from a few trees. All of my D trees still have foliage on them but some a getting their fall colors. Love it. :)
Bob O

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sitting around in the dark right now. If you go outside you can hear branches cracking all around us.
the word is that it might be days before we get our power back.
Deja vu all over again

Top Bottom