What is

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this is on my Eastern Cedar (j. vigianian) its all of the tree but only this tree not any of the other trees in my yard. Does it pose a treat to my Bonsai?

Attachments

• IMG00160-20100312-1625.jpg
    IMG00160-20100312-1625.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG00161-20100312-1625.jpg
    IMG00161-20100312-1625.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 63

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Bubbafrga,
Looks like apple-cedar rust. Is this the only cedar in your yard?
Chris

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'm not sure think it is cedar-apple rust, but it might be. C-a rust usually occurs in the foliage of J. virginiana and looks like either a round fruit, or a disgusting bunch of tantacles hanging from the foliage. Pictures and info here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour..._-WVDg&usg=AFQjCNH7WnZq2mEp4VAIRbDntsQLcgwN1g

It IS a rust of some kind, though. At this stage of its existance, a fungicide MAY help, but amputation and destroying the cut-off branch is the best solution. And look around your close neighborhood for other trees or shrubs (apples, hawthorns, quince, etc.along with any Juniperus species) that may be infected.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Francis,

Definitely apple-cedar rust, I believe what you are seeing are the fruiting bodies.

I had a Southern Red Cedar that became infected. In my experience, fungicide will not stop it. I would treat the tree and the rust would appear to go away for a season only to show up again the following year. Unfortunately, I had to put the tree down.

My understanding of how this rust operates is that it alternates hosts. One year it will show up on your cedar. The next year it will show up on a member of the apple family somewhere close to your location.

As jkl stated, search an destroy is the only way to get rid of this pest.

Good luck,
Paul

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good points from the others, you typically want to keep all those guys separated, but the spores go airborn so it's pot luck. WHite pines can harbor it too.

Cut it off, and burn it, or bag it and to the trash, you don't want it around. Fungicide may help keep it away, but won't help now to my knowledge.

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
JKL,
I suspect the "cedar apple rust" title has been given to more than 1 fungus.
The nursery inspector here called the things in bubbafrga's picture "cedar apple rust". They were actually growing on a Scots Pine, and there are no apple trees nearby. He said the other required host was a member of the aster family.

Bubbafrga,
If your tree is valuable, you might want to consider an investment in ZeroTol.

Good luck,
Chris

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help.

From research Ive done it appears to be some kind of Cedar Apple Rust. I think it is involved in Quince , we got some flowering Quince last year.

Its over the whole tree but it started falling off today. Its only on the bark not on foliage. Squirels and Birds were eating the orange jelly things today.

I could part with it but its in bad place to get cut down.

I have other cedars and larger on at my driveway that is valuable to me. But none of them has any of this on it.

What scares me is it getting to my Bonsai.

So cut this cedar down and cut the Quince down, and will that take care of it? From what I have read about the Cedar Apple rust it doen't real hurt the Cedar only makes it look strange for week in the spring. Is this correct or am I miss reading?

Top Bottom