What kind of Bonsai?

yuyu125678

Seed
Reaction score
Hello there! I’ve recently gotten a newly grown bonsai but cannot identify what kind it is. Any help will be appreciated, thanks! Please note that it might not yet be fully grown.

16948153-77DD-47B8-A8B5-1BCDD4165F97.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Appears to be a Zamia furfuracea, the cardboard cycad. Looks like there are three very young plants.

Thank you :) I have just spent 30 minutes looking at photos of cycads, and couldn't identify it :)

And you will laugh when you learn... I have two big ones in my landscape in my backyard - but have never seen them so small before and they don't look much like the adult plants :)

Sifu

Yamadori
Reaction score
I don't want to be that guy but ... how can you (or anyone) call this a bonsai? If you plant a grass or onion into a small "bonsai" pot that doesn't mean you've got a bonsai, right? ;)

vedecx

Yamadori
Reaction score
You could plant a seedling into a small "bonsai" pot and still not call it a bonsai...Also, cycads are used occasionally as bonsai, such as multiheaded specimens. Just because these are still young and small does not mean they can't become something later on.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You could plant a seedling into a small "bonsai" pot and still not call it a bonsai...Also, cycads are used occasionally as bonsai, such as multiheaded specimens. Just because these are still young and small does not mean they can't become something later on.
I have a Sago palm with 3 heads and it stays small at <3" diameter. I've been thinking about digging it up and potting it.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cycads are gymnosperms with secondary xylem; therefore, they can and do (albeit often “spongy”) produce wood.

yuyu125678

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you for all your responses! When I bought it, the store owners there told me it was a bonsai but it seems to be quite young. It also doesn’t seem like any of my other bonsai. It also does look like a “cycad” but also not. Strange...:oops:

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Thank you for all your responses! When I bought it, the store owners there told me it was a bonsai but it seems to be quite young. It also doesn’t seem like any of my other bonsai. It also does look like a “cycad” but also not. Strange...:oops:
Ohh, trust us it is a cycad. One that gets really large.

here's a nursery full of 'em.
furfuracea-seedlings.jpg

yuyu125678

Seed
Reaction score
Ohh, trust us it is a cycad. One that gets really large.

here's a nursery full of 'em.
furfuracea-seedlings.jpg

Just wondering, are cycads toxic to humans? I’ve heard they were to animals and they might be dangerous for people.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wondering, are cycads toxic to humans? I’ve heard they were to animals and they might be dangerous for people.

Seems like it, but that depends on your pet or toddler’s personality. Don’t eat it and you’ll be fine, if your pet is the tree chewing type, then don’t have a cycad, or a yew, or azalea. Again, it depends on your pet, my cat isn’t the tree chewing type, so I can have any tree I like. Her fetish is chewing plastic though.
I think if your cycad isn’t producing fruit or berries (or whatever they do) then there won’t be any temptation for a kid or any uninformed person to chew on it and die of liver failure.
Remember some personal hygiene, wash your hands when you’re done working on it, and you’ll be good to go.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Seems like it, but that depends on your pet or toddler’s personality. Don’t eat it and you’ll be fine, if your pet is the tree chewing type, then don’t have a cycad, or a yew, or azalea. Again, it depends on your pet, my cat isn’t the tree chewing type, so I can have any tree I like. Her fetish is chewing plastic though.
I think if your cycad isn’t producing fruit or berries (or whatever they do) then there won’t be any temptation for a kid or any uninformed person to chew on it and die of liver failure.
Remember some personal hygiene, wash your hands when you’re done working on it, and you’ll be good to go.
My cat has never shown any interest in my trees or plants. But she also has a little problem with plastic bags, loves to sniff, chew and lay on them. I think she made need an intervention.

Top Bottom