What kind of dremel should I get?

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This or this? Or this, perhaps?

From everything I've read, it seems like cordless ones should be avoided...is that right? However, I'm not sure how convenient corded ones will be. What do you guys and gals think?

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I have the 400XPR, which is a corded one. For small jobs around the house, the cordless probably will do fine, but for more intense jobs (like working on your trees), I would go for the corded.

Also, no need to buy one of the big packages with every attachment, bit, etc. under the sun, unless you think you'll use all that stuff. Though, one attachment I have is the flex shaft attachment, which I have not yet used but I think will come in handy sometime.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There's also this one and this one -- the second seems to be a newer model at a lower price, so that's kinda throwing me off. . . . I've heard great things about Makita, so I might go with that.

Mcpesq, thanks for the input. Yeah, I was thinking those kits are really unnecessary unless I had other stuff I needed to use it for. Great idea about the flex shaft attachment. I wonder if I can get one of those with the Makita one. I would imagine they're all compatible. . . .

**Edit -- Ohhh, I see the difference between the two Makita -- one has a paddle switch and the other has the switch on the actual grinder. The paddle appears to be very convenient.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This depends on what you're planning to carve. The Dremel is pretty light when it comes to moving a lot of wood. The Makita is a little more powerful I think. I've used my dremel for years, but have resorted to using it for lightweight carving. It just isn't up to bigger jobs, unless you have a lot of time...For larger carving I have an Arbortech minigrinder.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you do go with the dremel, get a corded one for sure, and also the flex shaft attachment. I'm extremely happy with mine, it's a dremel 300. I only use it with the flex shaft now that I've got it on there....

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Rockm, that Arbortech one looks really nice. A bit outside of my price range at the moment, plus any grinding I do will be somewhat minimal. However...I may at one point need something heavier. This is why I'm leaning towards the Makita grinder now.

Judy, I saw that flex shaft and it's really a selling point for the Dremel. I've been eyeing this Makita one all day, but it looks big. That Dremel with the attachment looks really convenient, but at the same time I wonder if I should sort of train myself to work with the bigger grinder so I can get used to it for future material. Plus I read the the Makita lasts a log longer than a Dremel. So I'm on the fence right now.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The dremel and the makita are two different tools. The makita uses 1/4" bits and has much more power.

I bought the one with the dead man switch, per Dale Cochoy's recommendation. After using it, I'm glad I spent the extra money just to be on the safe side.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judy, I saw that flex shaft and it's really a selling point for the Dremel. I've been eyeing this Makita one all day, but it looks big. That Dremel with the attachment looks really convenient, but at the same time I wonder if I should sort of train myself to work with the bigger grinder so I can get used to it for future material. Plus I read the the Makita lasts a log longer than a Dremel. So I'm on the fence right now.

How big are your trees? If you're working with shohin or trees with 2-3" trunks, then the Dremel is probably ok. If you're working with much larger stock, then the makita is the way to go.

One other benefit about the dremel is that it has other uses besides carving - you can use it for modeling, around the house, etc. The makita has fewer other uses.

Stickman

Seed
Reaction score
Hey Slothrop.

Long time :D

I've also got a Dremel 300. A nice, easy to use tool but as said already it has limitations in terms of the size material it is built to carve.

Steer clear of the Makita gd0600 as it is fixed at 25000rpm which is too fast for what seems like most cutting bits, well so I'm told by the pros. I bought one recently and couldn't acquire bits for it as all good tools like graham potters top of the range cutters require speeds of 10-15000rpm. So I took it back and coughed up the extra money (it was alot) to get the variable speed equivalent, the gd0800c.

The 175w "middle of the road" Dremel 4000 is (I personally feel) a fairly good tool which has more power than the 300 (125w odd) and less than the Makita monsters (400w+).

Anyhow, hope this helps some.
Brent

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get one with a cord or you will run out of juice half way through.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The dremel and the makita are two different tools. The makita uses 1/4" bits and has much more power.

I bought the one with the dead man switch, per Dale Cochoy's recommendation. After using it, I'm glad I spent the extra money just to be on the safe side.

How big are your trees? If you're working with shohin or trees with 2-3" trunks, then the Dremel is probably ok. If you're working with much larger stock, then the makita is the way to go.

One other benefit about the dremel is that it has other uses besides carving - you can use it for modeling, around the house, etc. The makita has fewer other uses.
I'm still not familiar with the sizing each one uses. I thought Dremel was compatible with 1/4" as well. I have a lot of reading to do, still.

What's a dead man switch?

I have a mixture of stuff, but I only have one large tree. Everything else is shohin, and mostly maples with some exceptions; so not a ton of deadwood work to be done.

This being said, it seems like the Dremel will be a better idea for me...but I've been reading reviews on the 4000 series and people are saying they're cheap...and this lead me to wanting a Makita (well, that and those ever so inspiring Graham Potter videos).

Hey Slothrop.

Long time :D

I've also got a Dremel 300. A nice, easy to use tool but as said already it has limitations in terms of the size material it is built to carve.

Steer clear of the Makita gd0600 as it is fixed at 25000rpm which is too fast for what seems like most cutting bits, well so I'm told by the pros. I bought one recently and couldn't acquire bits for it as all good tools like graham potters top of the range cutters require speeds of 10-15000rpm. So I took it back and coughed up the extra money (it was alot) to get the variable speed equivalent, the gd0800c.

The 175w "middle of the road" Dremel 4000 is (I personally feel) a fairly good tool which has more power than the 300 (125w odd) and less than the Makita monsters (400w+).

Anyhow, hope this helps some.
Brent

Hey Brent! I was wondering when you'd pop onto B-Nut! Great to see you -- I hope you stay. I don't post much on BonsaiSite anymore, so I'm sorry if I haven't responded, in case you wrote me. lol

The new popular one seems to be the Dremel 4000, but like I said earlier, I've seen some pretty negative reviews. I was looking into alternatives and saw Makita and Proxxon, but Makita is pretty expensive (at least the GD0800c). By the way, thank you so much for telling me about the GD0600 -- I was about to pull the trigger on that purchase today and I stopped after reading that.

I'm still on the fence a little. I feel like if I buy the Makita it will last forever and if I buy the Dremel I'll just end up buying a Makita later...but at the same time I feel like the Makita might be overkill...and maybe a little too big for the trees I have currently. Then again, what if I just train myself to work with a bigger grinder and make a solid investment in it? Decisions, decisions.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Not to complicate things, but I have a Roto-zip with a flex shaft for under $100 that has served me well. The flex shaft takes an 1/8" shank, and the collet takes a 1/4" shank, so it can be used for big stuff as well as fine stuff...no variable speed, but if I need that, I use the dremel. Don't think its that high quality, but as seldom as I need to carve big wood, it works for me.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
FWIW re the makita diegrinder (something we know a bit about at Elandan :) :) ) the original tool (GEO600) that you see most people using is no longer available .... the GDO series are not really comparable alternatives to the tool however as the clunky shape and larger body makes them difficult to use.... the tool you see graham using is a GEO600 (at 25,000rpm)

I have used a Roto-zip with the flex shaft and it is a great tool I find it a bit more powerful that a dremel at times .... the original multispeed dremel works great for fine work and if you can find one used (do they still sell them new?) its a great deal... corded is really the only way to go.... finding the 1/8" tools with flutes that don't clog however is hard .... but if you have a professional wood workers supply around you can find lots of interesting tools...

P.S. anyone looking to sell used GEO600s in working condition please let me know via PM

Last edited:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm still on the fence a little. I feel like if I buy the Makita it will last forever and if I buy the Dremel I'll just end up buying a Makita later...but at the same time I feel like the Makita might be overkill...and maybe a little too big for the trees I have currently. Then again, what if I just train myself to work with a bigger grinder and make a solid investment in it? Decisions, decisions.

from the sounds of your material.... and from what I know of what I have seen..... you need a dremel first... buy a dremel... go to the local pawn shop or tool re-seller and buy an old classic used multispeed (i believe they have one with ten variable speeds ) .... its a solid tool ...

when it comes time to buy a die grinder you will know...

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm still not familiar with the sizing each one uses. I thought Dremel was compatible with 1/4" as well. I have a lot of reading to do, still.

I think a Dremel can handle 1/8" bits, and maybe up to 3/16".

What's a dead man switch?

The dead man switch requires you to hold the switch in place while operating the tool to keep it on - so, if you drop it or otherwise your hand moves off that switch, the tool turns off.

I have a mixture of stuff, but I only have one large tree. Everything else is shohin, and mostly maples with some exceptions; so not a ton of deadwood work to be done.

Then I would say that the Dremel is a better tool.

This being said, it seems like the Dremel will be a better idea for me...but I've been reading reviews on the 4000 series and people are saying they're cheap...and this lead me to wanting a Makita (well, that and those ever so inspiring Graham Potter videos).

Think about these tools like paint brushes - you use different sizes/widths for different jobs. The Dremel will be for more fine detail work, and the Makita for bigger jobs. Given the power that the Makita has, it would not be my first choice on shohin or thin small deciduous trees. I've used a Dremel for a couple of years on my smaller trees with no problem. Once I started acquiring larger trees where I had to carve the chop sites or work on a big nasty rootball, then I realized that I needed a die grinder because the Dremel wouldn't cut it, or I'd burn the motor out trying. I think I may have posted this on another thread, but last weekend I was working on a fairly big willow oak with an 8" base and 4" trunk at the chop site. There is no way that the Dremel would be of any help, but the Makita (with the Terrier bit) made carving back the chop site and cleaning up the bottom of the root pad a piece of cake.

When I was looking to buy a Dremel, I was a bit hesitant after reading the negative reviews out there. But, I have a feeling that most people writing those negative reviews used the tool incorrectly, or burned out the motor from overuse (or that bought the cordless and were disappointed by the power and length of time it held a charge). I've had mine for years with no problems, and I know others that have used them over many years as well. So, I probably wouldn't be too worried. You can get pretty good deals on them on ebay or amazon.

Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
There's also this one and this one -- the second seems to be a newer model at a lower price, so that's kinda throwing me off. . . . I've heard great things about Makita, so I might go with that.

Mcpesq, thanks for the input. Yeah, I was thinking those kits are really unnecessary unless I had other stuff I needed to use it for. Great idea about the flex shaft attachment. I wonder if I can get one of those with the Makita one. I would imagine they're all compatible. . . .

**Edit -- Ohhh, I see the difference between the two Makita -- one has a paddle switch and the other has the switch on the actual grinder. The paddle appears to be very convenient.

Alex, I have a Dewalt model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RHIS/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details
Also with a paddle switch/Dead man switch, which is much safer to use imo. Dale Cochoy was selling this model at our Midwest show last fall.

I bought German made burrs in both 1/8" for my Dremel 300 and 1/4" for the Dewalt. Here's a list to get you thinking about what you may need:

Return Items
PFERD Cylindrical Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Radius End, 1/4" Shank, 1/4" Head Diameter, 5/8" Head Length (SC-1)
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
Available Actions
PFERD Flame Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Radius End, 1/8" Shank, 1/8" Head Diameter, 1/4" Head Length (SH-41)
Available Actions
PFERD Cone Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Point End, 1/8" Shank, 1/8" Head Diameter, 5/8" Head Length (SM-43)
Available Actions
PFERD Ball Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Radius End, 1/8" Shank, 3/16" Head Diameter, 1/8" Head Length (SD-53)
Available Actions
PFERD Tree Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Point End, 1/8" Shank, 1/8" Head Diameter, 3/8" Head Length (SG-43)
Available Actions
PFERD Tree Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Point End, 1/4" Shank, 3/8" Head Diameter, 3/4" Head Length (SG-3)
Available Actions
PFERD Ball Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Radius End, 1/4" Shank, 1/2" Head Diameter, 7/16" Head Length (SD-5)
Available Actions
PFERD 60 Degree Cone Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Point End, 1/4" Shank, 1/4" Head Diameter, 1/16" Head Length (SJ-1)
Available Actions
PFERD Ball Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Radius End, 1/4" Shank, 3/8" Head Diameter, 5/16" Head Length (SD-3)
Available Actions
PFERD Ball Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Radius End, 1/4" Shank, 1/4" Head Diameter, 3/16" Head Length (SD-1)

They work great. Easily cleaned with a torch and brass brush. I based these picks on basically what Kaizen Bonsai sells.

Have Fun!

Last edited:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a variable speed Makita (the 0800) used for $75, in really good condition. Used ones are out there if you look.

Stickman

Seed
Reaction score
Hey Brent! I was wondering when you'd pop onto B-Nut! Great to see you -- I hope you stay. I don't post much on BonsaiSite anymore, so I'm sorry if I haven't responded, in case you wrote me. lol

The new popular one seems to be the Dremel 4000, but like I said earlier, I've seen some pretty negative reviews. I was looking into alternatives and saw Makita and Proxxon, but Makita is pretty expensive (at least the GD0800c). By the way, thank you so much for telling me about the GD0600 -- I was about to pull the trigger on that purchase today and I stopped after reading that.

Hi Alex

Yeah I've also stopped visiting b-site, and have been focussing my energy on trying to get a local forum going. I do pop in here from time to time as there are some interesting topics and what seem to be some very experienced and knowledgeable people.

In terms of the tool, I totally agree with the others, get a lower capacity machine like the 300 or 4000 now as it suits your current trees, then later on you can think about a more powerful unit, whether that's a Dewalt, Makita, proxxon or any other equivalent machine. And you could look at a second hand one as they're industrial quality so should last a long time.

I think it boils down to neither capacity machine being able to perform both jobs well. Smaller machines are easy to handle but only manage small material, bigger machines are physically larger & are hard work to handle, and are not conducive to smaller material. Well they could be used but it'll be very difficult, taxing work. And you could theoretically use a Dremel for bigger stuff, but you'll be at it for two days solid, without a kit kat :D

Anyways, good luck and great to bump into you! How's your daughter by the way!?

Cheers
Brent

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not to complicate things, but I have a Roto-zip with a flex shaft for under $100 that has served me well. The flex shaft takes an 1/8" shank, and the collet takes a 1/4" shank, so it can be used for big stuff as well as fine stuff...no variable speed, but if I need that, I use the dremel. Don't think its that high quality, but as seldom as I need to carve big wood, it works for me.

It sounds like the Dremel seems to be a great option. I've been looking and found a couple of the "original" Dremel, but I'm still not sure if it's the real original. There are the models, 100, 200, 300, 3000, 4000, etc. I found someone who said the original was the 395, and that everything else paled in comparison.

I'll probably end up getting a Dremel, but I found a deal I thought was too good to be true (see response to Ang3lfir3).

FWIW re the makita diegrinder (something we know a bit about at Elandan :) :) ) the original tool (GEO600) that you see most people using is no longer available .... the GDO series are not really comparable alternatives to the tool however as the clunky shape and larger body makes them difficult to use.... the tool you see graham using is a GEO600 (at 25,000rpm)

I have used a Roto-zip with the flex shaft and it is a great tool I find it a bit more powerful that a dremel at times .... the original multispeed dremel works great for fine work and if you can find one used (do they still sell them new?) its a great deal... corded is really the only way to go.... finding the 1/8" tools with flutes that don't clog however is hard .... but if you have a professional wood workers supply around you can find lots of interesting tools...

P.S. anyone looking to sell used GEO600s in working condition please let me know via PM

from the sounds of your material.... and from what I know of what I have seen..... you need a dremel first... buy a dremel... go to the local pawn shop or tool re-seller and buy an old classic used multispeed (i believe they have one with ten variable speeds ) .... its a solid tool ...

when it comes time to buy a die grinder you will know...

PMed - There ya go! :D I got one here, but I got the last one. I'm sorry to be greedy, but I had to jump on it. lol -- Thank you for the information on the differences between the two models.

Though you're all right about a Dremel being a better option for me right now...and I will still get one for sure...I got the Makita because it seemed like it was meant to be. I've been eyeing some good sales on Dremels, and I found a couple of the old 395 models which apparently hold up very well...so we'll see where that leads to. In the meantime I'm pulling a couple dead and recently broken branches (from a storm, of course) from the woods so I can practice when the grinder arrives.

I think a Dremel can handle 1/8" bits, and maybe up to 3/16".

The dead man switch requires you to hold the switch in place while operating the tool to keep it on - so, if you drop it or otherwise your hand moves off that switch, the tool turns off.

Then I would say that the Dremel is a better tool.

Think about these tools like paint brushes - you use different sizes/widths for different jobs. The Dremel will be for more fine detail work, and the Makita for bigger jobs. Given the power that the Makita has, it would not be my first choice on shohin or thin small deciduous trees. I've used a Dremel for a couple of years on my smaller trees with no problem. Once I started acquiring larger trees where I had to carve the chop sites or work on a big nasty rootball, then I realized that I needed a die grinder because the Dremel wouldn't cut it, or I'd burn the motor out trying. I think I may have posted this on another thread, but last weekend I was working on a fairly big willow oak with an 8" base and 4" trunk at the chop site. There is no way that the Dremel would be of any help, but the Makita (with the Terrier bit) made carving back the chop site and cleaning up the bottom of the root pad a piece of cake.

When I was looking to buy a Dremel, I was a bit hesitant after reading the negative reviews out there. But, I have a feeling that most people writing those negative reviews used the tool incorrectly, or burned out the motor from overuse (or that bought the cordless and were disappointed by the power and length of time it held a charge). I've had mine for years with no problems, and I know others that have used them over many years as well. So, I probably wouldn't be too worried. You can get pretty good deals on them on ebay or amazon.
Thank you for clearing those questions up for me. I had a feeling the dead man switch was like the paddle or something, and now I know what bit sizes to look for as well.

I like your analogy about the paint brushes -- that makes perfect sense. I only have a couple shohin trees that I'll actually be doing carving on, and the main reason I'm getting one of these tools is to work on a larger tree I need to clean up some scars with (at least 3 inches wide). I'll definitely be getting a Dremel because of the fact that I'm working with a lot of shohin size trees. I was wondering the same thing about the reviewers. I imagine that a lot of them overuse the tools, though "overuse" is a relative term. And yeah, it's pretty much guaranteed that some are misusing them. So that makes me feel a bit better.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Alex, I have a Dewalt model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RHIS/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details
Also with a paddle switch/Dead man switch, which is much safer to use imo. Dale Cochoy was selling this model at our Midwest show last fall.

I bought German made burrs in both 1/8" for my Dremel 300 and 1/4" for the Dewalt. Here's a list to get you thinking about what you may need:

Return Items
PFERD Cylindrical Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Radius End, 1/4" Shank, 1/4" Head Diameter, 5/8" Head Length (SC-1)
Available Actions
PFERD Flame Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Radius End, 1/8" Shank, 1/8" Head Diameter, 1/4" Head Length (SH-41)
Available Actions
PFERD Cone Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Point End, 1/8" Shank, 1/8" Head Diameter, 5/8" Head Length (SM-43)
Available Actions
PFERD Ball Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Radius End, 1/8" Shank, 3/16" Head Diameter, 1/8" Head Length (SD-53)
Available Actions
PFERD Tree Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Point End, 1/8" Shank, 1/8" Head Diameter, 3/8" Head Length (SG-43)
Available Actions
PFERD Tree Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Point End, 1/4" Shank, 3/8" Head Diameter, 3/4" Head Length (SG-3)
Available Actions
PFERD Ball Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Radius End, 1/4" Shank, 1/2" Head Diameter, 7/16" Head Length (SD-5)
Available Actions
PFERD 60 Degree Cone Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Point End, 1/4" Shank, 1/4" Head Diameter, 1/16" Head Length (SJ-1)
Available Actions
PFERD Ball Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Radius End, 1/4" Shank, 3/8" Head Diameter, 5/16" Head Length (SD-3)
Available Actions
PFERD Ball Carbide Bur, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Double Cut, Radius End, 1/4" Shank, 1/4" Head Diameter, 3/16" Head Length (SD-1)

They work great. Easily cleaned with a torch and brass brush. I based these picks on basically what Kaizen Bonsai sells.

Have Fun!
Fore, thank you for putting that list together for me! That was very thoughtful of you. :)

Those look about right. I probably won't need to get all of it right now as I'm only just beginning to get into carving...but eventually, for sure.

I bought a variable speed Makita (the 0800) used for $75, in really good condition. Used ones are out there if you look.
You're absolutely right. A Google search was all I needed to find an awesome deal. :D

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"but if you have a professional wood workers supply around you can find lots of interesting tools..."

Excellent advice. I have a Woodcraft near me. If you can find a similar shop, go and look around. You will be amazed at some of the stuff they have. Bonsai people kind of re-invented the wheel on a lot of the woodworking tools we use. After looking at that woodworkers shop, I don't think we needed to...

Top Bottom