What kind of indoor light , please help!?

dgratz00

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey friened
What kids of indoor light will be good for a white Chinese Serissa for the winter when I bring it in?

Please help

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
LED is the cheapest to run, uses little energy and little waste heat. LED can be expensive to purchase the set up. It is also difficult to determine light out put because LED makers use a jargon unique to themselves. It it will be in a living space I recommend white full spectrum LED. Don't use just the red & blue. It can be disorientating for humans.

High output T5 fluorescent lamps. Be sure to get color temperature between 5000 K to 6700 K, some T5 fixtures are attractive, good choice for a grow light in a living space.

I have bloomed Serissa under ordinary fluorescent shop lights. 40 watt, T 12, 2 lamps per 48 inch fixture. Must hang lights low, close to the top of the leaves.

Use a timer to turn on and off the lights, set it for an 18 hours day, 6 hours off. All winter. You can to some extent make up for low light intensity with longer day length. Over 18 hours you are just wasting electricity. Plants need a 6 hours rest.

dgratz00

Seedling
Reaction score
@Leo in N E Illinois

Can you give me an exact brand name and product to search and buy. What would be it’s best led option under 100

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It has been years since I have had to purchase a light fixture. Some of my light fixtures, and ballasts are 35 years old, I just buy lamps once a year. to stay under $100 I recommend either 48 inch shop lights, if you have a group of plants, or one of those newer disc shaped LED fixtures for just a single plant. Others will have to respond, I don't know the LED market, I don't own any yet.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Leo in N E Illinois and also how do I make them bloom do I need a certain light cycle?
I would grow them outside for summer. Bring them indoors before a hard freeze. I run my lights 18 hours on, 6 hours off. They will bloom when they feel like it, usually early spring. Then I put them back outside when danger of frost has passed.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check craigslist for people selling off aquarium equipment. Often they have very good lights and can be had for cheap.

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I use one of these at home: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H1C7NA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Right now the 4 foot, 4 bulb fixture is 122, but when I ordered it, it was 99, so it might drop back down. At this point, I have no idea if that's a good price, but for what it's worth, the fixture has worked pretty well.

If you're only trying to light a single tree, you might want to look into something smaller, but in my experience, a single tree doesn't stay that way for long. Heh.

dgratz00

Seedling
Reaction score

Attachments

• 826D231D-D1A1-4197-B301-6258D5BE487A.jpeg
    826D231D-D1A1-4197-B301-6258D5BE487A.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 15
  • EE623276-ED73-4A55-8C18-B63651725EEB.jpeg
    EE623276-ED73-4A55-8C18-B63651725EEB.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 16

dgratz00

Seedling
Reaction score
I use one of these at home: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H1C7NA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Right now the 4 foot, 4 bulb fixture is 122, but when I ordered it, it was 99, so it might drop back down. At this point, I have no idea if that's a good price, but for what it's worth, the fixture has worked pretty well.

If you're only trying to light a single tree, you might want to look into something smaller, but in my experience, a single tree doesn't stay that way for long. Heh.

How close should light be from tree? Just warm on the hand?

Tbwilson33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Winjoy Grow Light, 30W LED Grow Lamp Bulbs Plant Lights Full Spectrum, Auto ON & Off with 3/6/12H Timer 5 Dimmable Levels Clip-On Desk Grow Lamp for Indoor Plants https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JLJFWNY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_k-S-Cb80T98C9

I got that at first and it works really well I use one for the top and two for the lower branches to keep them vigorous..... but then I bought more trees and bought this because I got more trees. My electric is high.

Hydrofarm Agrobrite T5, FLT412, 648W 4 Foot, 12-Tube Fixture with Lamps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008UZJXZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8.S-CbJD34DAE

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How close should light be from tree? Just warm on the hand?

I aim for as close as I can. Florescents don't generate that much heat, so that's typically not a big issue. I'd much rather the trees get as much light as they can.

Top Bottom