What kind of tree is this?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm telling you it's a Douglas fir. Pseudotsuga menziesii. Growing up in Washington state, I was around those every day. The new growth that you can see at the end of those upper left branches, the way the needles are positioned around the branches, the color of the wet bark, along with the description of the soft, lime green needles tell me so. Here's a google-searched photo of another one.douglas-fir-pseudotsuga-menziesii-branch-with-male-flowers-and-young-dajgk5.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I vote dwarf alberta spruce - not only do they look and feel like that; they're cheap and readily available at garden centers, so it's a likely give-away kind of tree

Agree:p! Doug Fir would have obvious terminal buds.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Young plant, trimmed a lot, my Fir also show soft leaf at he ends when extending new growth but not throughout grow out. Any spruce here has a soft rubber like leaf on new growth when mature. That is a tiny over trimmed(I might add improperly) Spruce :eek:

Grimmy

What WOULD be proper trimming? This was a raffle prize at the club.
I've learned my lesson on club AUCTION material. Jeez, if the raffles have junk, I'll just quit buying the tickets that support the club.

Dang, that's disappointing to hear.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm telling you it's a Douglas fir. Pseudotsuga menziesii. Growing up in Washington state, I was around those every day. The new growth that you can see at the end of those upper left branches, the way the needles are positioned around the branches, the color of the wet bark, along with the description of the soft, lime green needles tell me so. Here's a google-searched photo of another one.View attachment 133473

If that ain't it, then nothing is.
Color and foliage look EXACT.

Of course now that it's improperly trimmed, what next?

I'm the one who "clipped it back" and most likely shouldn't have.
or....???????????

It was all "moppy". Not mopy, but moppy.

o_O

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If that ain't it, then nothing is.
Color and foliage look EXACT.

Of course now that it's improperly trimmed, what next?

I'm the one who "clipped it back" and most likely shouldn't have.
or....???????????

It was all "moppy". Not mopy, but moppy.

o_O
More pics!

Aaron

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm telling you it's a Douglas fir. Pseudotsuga menziesii. Growing up in Washington state, I was around those every day. The new growth that you can see at the end of those upper left branches, the way the needles are positioned around the branches, the color of the wet bark, along with the description of the soft, lime green needles tell me so. Here's a google-searched photo of another one.View attachment 133473

Naw, I'm still around them every day, just tripped over one minutes ago.

I'm saying it's 100 percent not a fir or spruce and probably not a yew.(98 percent);)

Needle juniper is my vote but I'm not familiar with Dav4's suggestion so I can't rule that out.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's some pics of juniperus communis, it's the only needle juniper I know. The only one that grows here but maybe there's a bunch of others n the nursery trade. Your tree looks just like a young common juniper. They usually are horrendously prickly buggers, when young enough there is sort of a soft feathery stage..image.jpgimage.jpg

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If I remember right, early on I killed a bristlecone pine that was similar looking.

Maybe in 6000 years we can be sure. :)

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a common juniper that looks like that if I let it get leggy. They are decent trees, but I'd let the foliage fill in for a while before you do anything else to it

Top Bottom