What kind of tree is this?

Bree3

Seed
Reaction score
I searched the internet for a while and I couldn't find anything for what kind of tree this is. I just got the tree as a birthday present and also have no idea what I'm doing with it, but I named it Juan and I really like him and dont want to get rid of him. So I'm just looking for some basic bonsai tips and care.
I added pictures but they look pretty bad, so let me know if you need a better picture to tell me what this tree is!
Thanks!!
Sorry, the photos so big. I'm not sure how to change that. :(
WIN_20190517_18_08_43_Pro.jpg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Juniper, procumbens nana, most likely

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I searched the internet for a while and I couldn't find anything for what kind of tree this is. I just got the tree as a birthday present and also have no idea what I'm doing with it, but I named it Juan and I really like him and dont want to get rid of him. So I'm just looking for some basic bonsai tips and care.
I added pictures but they look pretty bad, so let me know if you need a better picture to tell me what this tree is!
Thanks!!
Sorry, the photos so big. I'm not sure how to change that. :(
View attachment 242706

Could you come up with a lower side picture?
And happy late birthday.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Please add your location to your profile. As mentioned above it will need to go outside. Over the first year the main bonsai techniques you need to know is how to water and keep the tree alive.

Bree3

Seed
Reaction score
Please add your location to your profile. As mentioned above it will need to go outside. Over the first year the main bonsai techniques you need to know is how to water and keep the tree alive.

Are there any specific techniques to this?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Bree3
Hello, welcome to Bonsai Nut.
You are in Colorado, I'll assume you are living at less than 8000 feet elevation. Juniper procumbens is a fairly cold hardy juniper, and could survive all winter without protection from cold temperature, except you will need to protect it from wind, and rapid freeze-thaw-freeze that you get when the Chinook winds come in Jan-Feb. If you are living in a apartment, a sunny spot on the balcony would be perfect. If you tie it down so it doesn't fall, the outside windowsill will work for summer into autumn. Winter you will have to bring it in from the balcony or windowsill.

Traditional bonsai was grown outdoors, and only brought inside for a few hours at a time to display for company, guests, or to mark an occasion. In those exquisite photos, they are never grown where the photo was taken. So keep yours outside if possible, or brightest window possible, and put it on display when company comes over, and out again as soon as they leave.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
We can worry about winter later, check in with this forum in August. For now check every day, morning is best, to see if it needs water. Don't just touch the surface, dig your finger in a bit to see if it is damp, wet, barely moist or bone dry. Ideally, you should water when it feels barely moist, before it gets bone dry. Take the pot to the sink and flood it with water. Let drain, flood a second time, let drain a few minutes then return it to the balcony or windowsill, or outdoors. Wherever you grow it.

Bonsai soil is coarse, and does not wick water around the pot. If you use a watering can and only dribble a little water in, you will have dry spots in the pot. If you water at all, flood the pot with water.

Use your finger to determine how often to water, it can be daily. In cloudy cool weather it can be once every couple days. Frequency will change throughout the seasons.

Don't worry about fertilizer right away, it is good to just let your new plant get used to it's new home.

Top Bottom