What kind of tree/set up can you see in this pot?

Reaction score
Ive been given the green light for an exchange
This time ill be bringing my 3 trees that need a pot and see who gets a new home.

Anything specific i can watch out for to determine higher grade qualities?

As previously mebtioned some hand actual stamps and signatures on them

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Good match, color of the pot complements the lighter color of the bark, and contrasts nicely without clashing the color of the leaves.

Show a photo of the bottom of that pot and we might be able to tell you about the maker or its origins. If there are no maker marks we might be able to tell you a little about its manufacture.

Maybe
Because ceramics do not age visibly with time if they are simply on a shelf, it is difficult to be 100% accurate. But there are ways to make reasonable guesses.

Reaction score
The pot is by Eldon Leis. I recieved it from his grandchild.

Thank you for the thoughts about the pairing. Im wondering if i may take a growig seasom to get the roots ready beore repotting to this one.

Attachments

• 20200930_202826.jpg
    20200930_202826.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 10

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Im bout to fill this tank with serissas

On a more serious note, i wonder if a variety of trees would work for forest, or if it needs to be all the same specie. Fukien mixed with serissas and bougainvilea could make for a sweet unorthodox layout.

Also think of putting a sepearate bowl inside to have a pond feature

Ah, Eldon Leis - and if you got it from his grandchild, you can probably guess at, or ask what year it was made. Write the year in chalk (because it is easily washed off) on the underside of the pot. Or note it somewhere, so that in the future, should you be asked, or want to sell the pot, you have the information.

I do not know Canadian potters, and I barely know a dozen USA based potters. There is a website maintained by Ryan Bell that has a great deal of information on bonsai pottery and artists, from all over the world.

Adam Holden runs a website devoted to North American potters, he would be a good one to contact. He doesn't list Eldon Leis, but he may be accumulating photos of his work. Or, if he gets photos of a few examples of his work, he might do a write up.

I realize you don't have the big green pot anymore. It really wasn't a bad pot, but you probably upgraded in value with the trade for the Eldon Leis.

Should the question rise again: Yes, you can make a forest planting using a mixture of different trees. Fukien tea, mixed with Serissa, is actually a good mix, as leaves are similar in size but have different textures. Key when mixing species is to match leaf sizes, make sure you vary leaf textures, and put together trees that have similar horticulture needs. The last is the biggest obstacle to mixing species. It can be done, and has been done well. There are quite a few mixed forests in the permanent collection of the North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville, NC.

Reaction score
Wow thank you for this wealth if info
I traded for functional purposes of wanting to be able to have plants outdoors. With my means and ability, the green pot is too heavy to lift alone full of soil and a tree. I also dont live in my own place so i needed something easier to move.

Eldon leis is a painter with bonsai as his hobby I believe.

Top Bottom