What kind or style of pot?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Probably not what youwant to hear, but training pot?
Or else maybe a shallowish oval or a rect
EXACTLY what I want to hear. An opinion. Actually jibes with one I've been looking at in my pot stash. CERAMIC pot stash of course. ;)
My concern is that the shallow oval I'm eyeing might dry out too much in a hot summer.

But it WOULD present the best. :)

It's a year and a half old from nursery starter and spent the first year IN a training pot. Got about 5 feet of roots off of it when I put it in this wrong, wrong, wrong pot.

and thanks for a reply.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you do go oval, I would go with a masculine glaze or unglazed for this with plain feet, tree is too strong for a feminine type. I don't know your climate or oaks well enough to tell you what is best for culture.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
A deep pot, maybe 4 inches, or even 5 inches. That will give you a little leeway in the heat of summer.

I would actually look at rectangle, if the tree is as masculine in person as the photo.

If the tree is more of a 360 tree, in that it has more than one possible front, then go with a round.

Reaction score
EXACTLY what I want to hear. An opinion. Actually jibes with one I've been looking at in my pot stash. CERAMIC pot stash of course. ;)
My concern is that the shallow oval I'm eyeing might dry out too much in a hot summer.

But it WOULD present the best. :)

It's a year and a half old from nursery starter and spent the first year IN a training pot. Got about 5 feet of roots off of it when I put it in this wrong, wrong, wrong pot.

and thanks for a reply.

Ha great! Any chance of seeing that jibed pot from your ceramics stash?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My first thought is a shallow round pot.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A deep pot, maybe 4 inches, or even 5 inches. That will give you a little leeway in the heat of summer.

I would actually look at rectangle, if the tree is as masculine in person as the photo.

If the tree is more of a 360 tree, in that it has more than one possible front, then go with a round.
It ....could... be a 360. However, I think I've found the front and would ...like.. an oval that would encompass the spread.
But the rectangle is the most likely.

Top Bottom