What level of Shade Cloth % do you use?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I'm finally building a shade cloth area in my back yard. It's a modest 10x20 space, but will house the trees which need protection from what is otherwise a full-on southern exposure. Delicate maples can get a little sun burned from time to time if you're not on it in the summer to keep them super hydrated.

So I've been shopping for shade cloth, and found a very good product at Gemplers which I think will meet my needs well.... but the only question is how much shade to provide....

http://www.gemplers.com/shade-cloth

I'm thinking 60% or 50%? Hubby wants the black....

Any thoughts on the % would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Victrinia

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Depends what needs to go under it but here I use 70 percent for all Maples all of the time.

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This will be a similar thread to a substrate or fertilizer thread "unless" and I hope everyone here understands Vic just wants to know what you use - I am pretty certain she is shopping and wondering what people use and why... No need to provide any advice as she is very well versed... and just looking for info :D

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am pretty certain she is shopping and wondering what people use and why... No need to provide any advice as she is very well versed...

I am not psychic and don't want to assume. If she knows it already, fine and she can ignore it. How about if not? ;)

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Vic, for me 50% would be the max. I personally like 30%-40% range. But, whatever you choose for your yard, you need to feel comfortable with it. Good to "see" you again.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Vic, for me 50% would be the max. I personally like 30%-40% range. But, whatever you choose for your yard, you need to feel comfortable with it. Good to "see" you again.

*Virtual xoxox for you my friend....

I was thinking 60% seemed high... I think 50% might work out well... we're situated on the top of a hill with a glaring amount of light... like reaaaaalllyyyyy glaring. lol Of course I bought it with that in mind, but with a summer show coming up, I need the maples and certain azaleas to get a bit of a break from the glare.... :)

Dario....

I'm actually buying knitted on purpose... I want to be able to cut and fit it without unraveling as badly as woven would. I'm not as worried about how long it lasts, as much as how much it weighs. I want it light since I'll have to take it up and down each year anyway. No way anything of that nature would survive a winter on my hill. lol Wind blows so hard up here it makes my windows buzz sometimes... and snows are heavy at best... structure crushing at worst. In Austin I doubt you have to worry about wet snow very often. :D lol

I appreciate the info though. That was a site I hadn't looked at. thanks!

If anyone lives up my way and uses shade cloth, I'd still love to hear what you use. :)

Kindly,

Victrinia

Telperion

Seedling
Reaction score
Vic,
Hope you guys are doing well.
It's 50% here at the farm.
FYI: shade cloth shrinks! Very annoying when you go to put it up next year. Add a foot or two and you will be glad you did.
Chris

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Victrinia, reading your post where you said " Delicate maples can get a little sun burned from time to time " made it sound like you do not have a severe problem. It causes me to think you would want a lesser shade 50% or maybe even 40%, it seems if they are growing well you would not want to deprive them of too much light and cause larger leaves etc. Just my 2 cents worth. :)

ed

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Seems to me mine is 40%. I use it over my overexposed/overheating green house. I chose a "aluminet" product because of the the extra heat reflecting characteristics--regular shade cloth can act as a heat sink due to its dark color. I have left mine on for 13 years and it still is hanging in there--I think its the shit.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems to me mine is 40%. I use it over my overexposed/overheating green house. I chose a "aluminet" product because of the the extra heat reflecting characteristics--regular shade cloth can act as a heat sink due to its dark color. I have left mine on for 13 years and it still is hanging in there--I think its the shit.

Yeah, but do you get any snow in MN. :p

After 13 years it just may be the shit, but I don't how that would make it last longer. :confused:

ed

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
we're situated on the top of a hill with a glaring amount of light... like reaaaaalllyyyyy glaring. lol

Kindly,
Victrinia

Obviously you are closer to the sun being on a hill.......:p

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shade cloth Is tricky and I would only trust advice from someone in your area. Go to the nurseries in your area and ask them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Vic,
Hope you guys are doing well.
It's 50% here at the farm.
FYI: shade cloth shrinks! Very annoying when you go to put it up next year. Add a foot or two and you will be glad you did.
Chris

Cap'n........... I think I need a trip to the mountain sometime soon... I miss you two a lot!

Thanks for the tip on shrinkage!! Are you using woven or knitted? David DeGroot got back to me, and told me the Rim is using 50% also... So I think I'll go that route. :)

Much love to you and Lisa...

V

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Victrinia, did you order the shade cloth? I have been looking at getting some and found this site http://www.shadeclothstore.com/products/shadecloth50__knittedshadecloth.html
which has about the same price of the same size, edge is taped and grommets included every 2 feet. The site you were looking at says it is unfinished. Just wondering if your were pleased.
It is nice to know someone that has purchased and pleased with buying from internet.

Thanks

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm in west los angeles california. I use 50% aluminet over most of my deciduous material. Nothing over my evergreen trees and a few sun loving deciduous/tropical trees. But even with 50% I'm still getting burn on the tips of my satsuki leaves so I just ordered 60% aluminet for over them, till it gets here they'll have to burn a bit...

Aluminet is the best nothing else compares for heat reduction and quality of light.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/50-percent-aluminet-shade-curtain/

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
i use 40-50% black landscaping cloth, the stuff they lay down before putting down bark dust/mulch to keep weeds from coming back up, it's lightweight, does have heat sink effect due to color. Works pretty good for me over here on the east side, and it's pretty glaring out here in the desert.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I am in Africa and I use 40%...I have to also remove it in winter...So I welded a metal frame for it, and I just push it to one end.

Top Bottom