What makes a good bonsai nursery?

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm interested in knowing what you look for in a bonsai nursery. What makes a good bonsai nursery in your opinion?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One that caters to all levels and price point (=wide selection) with knowledgeable, friendly staff. :)

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quality stock, prices clearly marked, good selection of tools, pots, and supplies.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Personally, I'd like one with lots of partially developed stock material, something 5-10 years from being a great bonsai. For example: Field grown deciduous trunks, field grown pines ready for branch selection/apex development, plants grown on/through a tile, twisted and fattened shimpaku. Most of the nurseries I've been to seem to have lots of immature beginner material and lots of completed/almost-complete bonsai, with very little developed stock. I'm lucky enough to have one nearby that has a good bit of partially developed stock, but they like to pot the best ones up and charge more for them just because they're in a pot (that I usually don't like).

Secondly, you have to have a good variety of material, not just different species but also different sizes, different shapes, different stages of development. One place I went to appeared to have just bought shipments of Chinese quince, trident maple, Japanese maple, elm and each batch had only trees of the same age that were all grown in the same fashion. There was very little variety within each batch. You could get a wavy trunk quince, a trident with movement but no taper, a zigzag JM, or a broom elm. If you don't grow all of your material yourself, I would recommend getting a few shipments of the same species from different vendors.

That's all I have time for right now, but I think I'll have more later.

Last edited:

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
As a hobbyist/consumer.....
Pots, pots, and pots.
Good quality soil ingredients, (akadama, hyuga, etc.)
Wire at competitive pricing.
Good collection of quality bonsai. While I seldom buy plants at bonsai nurseries they do give me a reason to visit and study them and I always buy other supplies while I'm there.

Now some opinions as a retail store owner (different industry)....
-The lifeblood of any retail business is inventory turnover and cash flow so you need a lot of stuff that sells well and is purchased repeatedly by the same customers. I think a good selection of entry level bonsai and pre-bonsai is important to keep new hobbyists coming. I know a local bonsai nursery that grows and sells a ton of small Japanese maples. I suspect he makes more profit overall on these than on his $1000 plus trees.
-Knowledgeable, friendly, personal service. (I'm convinced that's why people shop at my store rather than a Petsmart or Petco.) Know your regular customers' names and interests.
- Organized and regular classes and instruction.
- Outreach to local bonsai clubs including attending meetings and making donations when possible.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A wide variety of quality stock at different stages of development. Have stock available at a wide range of prices. Have pots and tools available but if this is not cost effective for the nursery to keep on hand, be able to obtain these things on an as needed basis for buyers. Hold classes and demos.

Knowledgable staff who can help guide beginners as well as discuss advanced matters with experienced folks. And be friendly. ;)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Anything OTHER then what Chase Rosade does here in Pennsylvania. :mad:

Always wanted to tell someone other then my Wife that :D

But honest Convenient access and Parking.
Clean and organized.
Friendly.
Lots of items and plants in a WIDE price range.

I don't mean cheap because I just never find anything of any quality inexpensive.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I agree with all previous comments. As one living 3 - 5 hours from good nurseries, I look for a GREAT website. I also look for fast response to emails. Realizing it is almost impossible to have current photos on a website, email communication with photos of one or two trees in re the inquiry gets my attention every time and will probably result in a quick sale.

I appreciate dealing with someone who does not make me feel like a "dummy" for asking a question. Many are not at the level of expertise of the nursery owner and personnel.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Lots of feedback :) lots of good input.

As someone who spent his working life in marketing, i tend to shy away from trying to be all things to all people.

One of the main things as yet unmentioned, is good opportunities to learn. Class offerings are
a great opportunity to increase knowledge and a chance to make sales for newly created interests.

If it was me, I'd focus on pre-bonsai ( nursery stock that has had some advance work so that the design is easily recognized.) Some yamadori and a few finished bonsai for the majority to be able to have something to want to achieve or aspire to.

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A wide selection of well priced pots, wire, screening, etc. One thing that I don't see at local bonsai nurseries except maybe House of Bonsai is a good selection of training pots. I just ordered 10 large "Anderson Flats" from a company in Oregon because of the lack of training pots in SoCal. Also a variety of well priced tools, from beginner tools to premium tools for more seasoned "bonsai nuts". A variety of substrate materials as well as maybe your own "Bonsai Mix" that is right for the climate zone(s) in your area. A helpful friendly educated staff on hand that can talk to and give advice both newbie customers and seasoned "bonsai nuts" during all hours of operation.
Good pre-bonsai material and raw stock at reasonable prices. Good field grown stock. Some potted bonsai (specimen trees etc) that represent all styles of bonsai. I believe most "Bonsai Nuts" buy pre-bonsai material rather than finished trees because they want to work on or create their own style trees.
A comfortable atmosphere that makes customers and potential customers feel like they are welcome even if they are just browsing. I feel that many "Bonsai Instructors' are pretentious and scare newbie's as well as other "Bonsai Nuts"away
The willingness to assist customers that may bring a tree in for some free advice.
Having a friendly vendor presence at shows is how I have met and become a customer at a couple of Bonsai Nurseries.
Doing demos for local bonsai clubs and even other types of garden clubs to get new blood into the hobby (and your nursery).

I find that most of the prices for trees in any stage at bonsai nurseries in the Los Angeles area are way too steep. Most "Bonsai Nuts" are regular working (or in my case retired) people and would have a lot more trees if they could afford them. I recently bought 4 pre-bonsai trees (one privet and three oaks) in the Central/Northern California area at decent prices (all under 30 dollars). So, again well priced trees get me in to a nursery. I find that when I am talking to other "Bonsai Nuts" that the discussion frequently goes to nursery "finds" where there is potential pre-bonsai tree material. They will drive miles to get to a nursery that has inexpensive stock.
My two cents,
Tona

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thank you to everyone that has responded so far. As Dick said lots of good feedback and input, I'm looking forward to more.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
First off, one that I could drive to without taking a whole day (or more) road trip to get to and back!

Since I do most all of my buying from online sources, I think having an up to date website is important. That's what keeps me coming back, fresh stock every month or so. Good photos, and the ability to take more photos for the customer should they ask. I also think that taking the time to help your customer find the right choice is important. (I think I just described NEBG ;)) I've had really great experiences with a few online vendors, and I'm not shy about telling everyone else where these great trees come from. (Gregory Beach) And word of mouth is important when the base for your product is so spread out. (wee tree)

Sorry if this is like an infomercial, but I think I make my point?

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Classes and workshops would be great and I would think also help identify nurseries more likely to be beginner friendly. I.e. have staff with the patience for dealing with us newbies and our 1,001 questions.

Stock prebonsai at various stages and prices (something for all skill level), basic/most popular supplies and tools, as well as Akadama, lava rock, turface, etc.

Some very nice bonsai displayed for inspiration or as instructional tool.

Website-
I think an informative website is important too. Contact, workshop/class information days and times, hours, and if not information available about specific stock, then at least broader categories of what's carried is helpful (prebonsai, pots, soil, tools, etc.).
Basic care information that's typically distributed in the nursery. I tend to lose paper, so it would be nice to make available on website. And of course, keep the information current!

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Time to start thinking about a new website............

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Time to start thinking about a new website............

Honest - That advice is the best idea I have seen yet, I think everything else would be common sense to a serious business.

chris38383838

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Well that's a really pleasant question to anwser :D

As JudyB. said: a nursery close to where I live... I just drove 2 hours and a half yesterday to get to my closest bonsai nursery!!

But the main thing for me would be to have lots of varieties for bonsai in starter plants. Yesterday I just bought an ilex serrata, a callicarpa, a kurume azalea and a prunus mume. Those species are great for bonsai but really hard to find, so I think a good bonsai nursery should have this kind of stuff. Still in the varieties, I'd like the perfect nursery to have a wide selection of species that are difficult to propagate, like pines and japanese maples cultivars that ought to be grafted. I wouldn't push too much on the yamadori stuff... you don't want your nurseryman to sell you 500$ some tree that you could've gone in the woods and fetch yourself. Leave the fun to me ;-)

I'd also like a nursery that provides care for your trees for a low price when you're on a trip. I like to travel. So having someone knowledgeable that can take care of my trees is a big plus. It's already been said, but the ''knowledgeable'' part is very important. If I got a sick tree or if I need advice on styling, I want my nurseryman to be able to help me. In my dreams, the perfect nursery would have large greenhouses integrated in a sort of japanese pavillon/garden, something that people could visit like a botanical garden and say ''wow, I want to start bonsai right away!''. Then the nursery should have a large range of prices and quality in trees, stones, pots, tools, bonsai accessories & fertiliser (mainly biogold!) for people at each level. A nursery with a good website that tells you when new stock arrives would be nice too.

Lastly, I'd like my perfect nursery to hold some workshops with furnished trees and material.

But like I said, this is ''in my dreams'' :-D. Thanks for making me dream while I was writing this!

Chris

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
:p So Bob, have you figured out we want it ALL yet:)

I think someone touched on all my thoughts already.

Website- saw something recently that basicly said that is an area not to slack on( not saying you are) bring it up to "modern standards" if for no other reason security issues, but there are so many junk sites these days that the site dazzles, that a site will be measured so to speak by it's look.

October and Dav4 would tell you in house workshops and instructors are a good thing, we have been customers of New England Bonsai Gardens out on this coast, and they have in house John Romano, and bring in some others from time to time, but thier Wed. open workshops I believe were well attended, at least by those 2.
NEBG also held summer sales, member shows, and they also act as a quarentine house for imports.

A good business man will reevaluate his operation to keep up, good job. Thanks for asking.

Judy, you will never see a mobile bonsai shop, ahem, that sells what you want, those white vans should be avoided.;)

Last edited:

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Good plants at a fair price. (Good plants aren't cheap)
Classes with people that know what there talking about.
Not somebody who hangs around the shop.
Enough help to to give service as needed. (Help cost money the more help someone has raises prices)

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
One that is with care, integrity and vision attempting to encourage and facilitate the growth of bonsai at all levels of experience.

Top Bottom