What one would you pick, and why?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd vote nr 1 too taper looks good but downside is there are a couple bar branches at least in this picture it looks like that

bonsai45

Sapling
Reaction score
left 👍
nice material
and i'd blindly order a bunch of seedlings for root grafts as well, to get that started this spring

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd take the one with the cleanest looking nebari and plan to grow out branches long term. Probably top right from what we can see here.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd layer the clump out of the top of the bottom right tree and throw out everything else. The left one once again looks like a pine tree. An equilateral pine tree at that....

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm with Smoke. I'd layer the top off of the bottom right but I'd also then cut the rest right down to the first branch and see what buds pop. You could maybe stick it on ebay and get your money back

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Top right has the most natural structure to me. I was initially drawn to the left tree but on second view it looks a bit too even. I can’t see the benefit in layering the clump because then you’re just left with a small clump. Can anyone explain?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nice trees...Left for me...who has these for sale if I can ask??

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone willing to list the pro's and con's of the left tree. I would be curious as to what is redeeming about it?

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like the left best. The straight trunk line is jarring though and I can’t put my finger on why.

New guys question:
At what diameter on this tree would you start to worry about inducing a curve still? With any method you would choose to use. Can you bend all the way down on a maple like this?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Looking like Dave Dewire's maples trees, if so they are all grafted unless he has changed things. The pictures you are looking at are probably NOT the trees you will be receiving. The grafts on the ones I got were terrible. Just my experience.

Last edited:

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Smoke I think the placed branches and overall profile capture my attention quickly they are pleasing to look at right away. Then something doesn’t seem right about the tree.
The ones on the right on the other hand, my eyes follow the lines of the tree taking in the details with more of a flow to it.
The discovery of each branch and the angles found, I enjoy more.
overall given that I’m not confident in my evaluation of bonsai trees my overal decision on the left tree is because that tree looked like it was further along in its planned development than both of the trees on the right.

You mentioned the left was styled more like a pine. I know each style is pick for the representation that it presents with their respective species. Can you explain to me why styling like a pine sticks out as a bad thing here and/or what would you do to the left tree to fix it?

I like the threads like this that show people opinions and education background

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The one on the left. Nebari is the weakest point, either air layer or root graft in its future. Air layer more likely to improve flare of base and proportion over all. Basic primary branching is acceptable and workable for styling improvement.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone willing to list the pro's and con's of the left tree. I would be curious as to what is redeeming about it?

The Pros:

The one on the left had better overall taper. The branches are relatively thin, which makes the trunk look thicker. The lower branches are a little thicker than the branches higher up. And the branches higher up aren’t heavy. There appear to be lots of internodes on the trunk, even if there aren’t branches at every internode. There is a possibility of a backbud popping at one of those internodes. There is subtle movement to the trunk, and few long straight sections. There do not appear to be any significant scars or pruning cuts. There are no swellings or areas of reverse taper.

The Cons:

There’s not a lot of movement to the trunk. The nebari needs improvement, but it’s not beyond being “fixable”. There are bar branches.

Overall:

The Pros far outweigh the Cons. The tree could be styled as a Informal Upright or as a Center Line Broom. It looks like a young tree because it has a relatively pointed apex, and the trunk does not have mature bark. The tree is still young enough that there is flexibility to its future, and would not need a lot chopping required to restyle or fix flaws.

Top Bottom