What Particle Size Substrate Do You Use?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's getting closer to that repotting time and I think a big issue I had in my first year was not filtering out and going with set particle sizes for my substrate mixes. I learned this to be a big noob mistake as all the smaller particle substrate moves to the bottom as you water and you end up with inconsistencies in your mix.

What particle size substrate do you usually go with in your mixes? If it's dependant on the size of the tree, what particle size would you use for the different trees (i.e. for shohin ___ size substrate, etc.)?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's getting closer to that repotting time and I think a big issue I had in my first year was not filtering out and going with set particle sizes for my substrate mixes. I learned this to be a big noob mistake as all the smaller particle substrate moves to the bottom as you water and you end up with inconsistencies in your mix.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

What particle size substrate do you usually go with in your mixes? If it's dependant on the size of the tree, what particle size would you use for the different trees (i.e. for shohin ___ size substrate, etc.)?

Introductory Soil Physics

Updates (3)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
There was a helpful resource that Marky Scott typed up.. kind of a comprehensive introduction to substrate particulate and how it interacts with your tree's roots..

But I can't find the link.

;););)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There was a helpful resource that Marky Scott typed up.. kind of a comprehensive introduction to substrate particulate and how it interacts with your tree's roots..

But I can't find the link.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Shohin size for shohin, small for developed trees that are largely finished or at least primary branch finished. Med for trees that are at least trunk finished. Larger substrate for branches that need more development and trunk growth, or very large trees. Large conifers get larger substrate by one level in my collection.

Top Bottom