What pine is this and how much would you pay?

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi,

one of our neighbors is selling two pine trees in pots. They are both two-needle pines and kind of big, unruly. Not much back budding that I can see. My guess is that they are black pines but I’m not sure. The trunk is nice. What kind of pine do you think this is and how much would you pay for them, assuming there is a lot of work to be done over several years. Thanks!

08C7E960-1C2C-4AC9-BF54-B8982C79EC35.png094E82D3-B02D-4EFB-A9A8-DE833F5092EF.pngB6408F38-60FF-4B53-A1A6-B51548BA0C3A.png

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
possibly black pine and as far as what I would pay? I would pass entirely. trunks aren't very interesting and they appear to be in poor health.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Juvenile foliage seems to abound likely not any Black pine. Maybe Italian Stone pine. IF having any live branches down low could make something of them. These likely root bound needing repotted Spring 2021 and not getting much H20 or fertilizer for some time. Not much money value but training value is there;).

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Juvenile foliage seems to abound likely not any Black pine. Maybe Italian Stone pine. IF having any live branches down low could make something of them. These likely root bound needing repotted Spring 2021 and not getting much H20 or fertilizer for some time. Not much money value but training value is there;).
You are probably right, I just noticed poster is in zone 10. Only place I ever see a stone pine is at Lowes or Walmart before Christmas.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree that the juvenile shoots on older trees is indicative of stone pine or aleppo pine.
Stone pine can shoot from older bare wood when cut hard but I have found them difficult to manage as bonsai.
These are probably not worth any money as bonsai.

Top Bottom