What pot should I be looking for, semi cascade?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
20230428_151226.jpg
I started this from a 2 inch pot about 6 yrs ago.
20230428_151724.jpg
I have this @sorce pot i got last year, but I'm not so sure it's a good match, or even if it's wide enough.
I'm going pot shopping tomorrow but don't expect to find a good match where I'm going.

Here's another that is in an oval mica pot that deserves a good pot. It has not been potted for 5 years.
20230428_153259.jpg

20230428_153441.jpg

20230428_153550.jpg
I like this option except it is an inch more shallow and iIDK if i can pull it off.
It is an inch or so shorter, which might work. Width is about the same.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Where im going tomorrow has a good fit for the 2nd tree for $35.
I have the same pot with a dwarf EWP in it I paid around $100 for :rolleyes:
20230428_154904.jpg
I can get this pot for $35 and the
Height is spot on. Overall it's a perfect fit without much root work needed. Any thoughts on the pot for the 2nd juniper above?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you haven't potted that second tree in 5 years, I think you could easily cut the roots down 1 inch for that first pot you have
Perhaps. I'll know more once I'm done with the root work
except...i need to tilt the root ball forwards. It's too late to see how much I'm comfortable with bending the trunk forwards.
I'd like to adjust the angle of planting 1st this potting and go a bit under 3 inches deep next go but we'll see.
I've brought the tree into the sunroom ahead of the rain to allow the roots to dry out some beforehand.
Thanks

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here's a look at the root ball and a little history on the tree.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very nice junipers! I like them a lot! Hope you find good matches for them.
I was supposed to be on my way to Plant City Bonsai in Clermont, GA today
but my wife gal bladder issues are getting worse, and being 9 hrs one way on the road
would not be in either of our favors as I have a fractured foot as well.
They have some decent pots at the Monastery in Conyers, GA too.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Japonicus Sorry to hear about that. And that is quit the drive. I dropped off some of my pots at plant city several months ago. Am planning on bringing more soon. I have like 50 pots waiting to be fired.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Japonicus Sorry to hear about that. And that is quit the drive. I dropped off some of my pots at plant city several months ago. Am planning on bringing more soon. I have like 50 pots waiting to be fired.
I like Steve and Sandy. Really nice folks as far as I can tell from the few times I've been there.
I went to my 1st workshop there with Adair recently. I'm on a bonsai island here. Nothing.
I finally got that that tree in my avatar into a real pot this year :)
Since I can't make the trip, Steve is looking for a couple of trees to ship if they don't break the bank.
I retired TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and you may will probably see that in more than one thread.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like Steve and Sandy. Really nice folks as far as I can tell from the few times I've been there.
I went to my 1st workshop there with Adair recently. I'm on a bonsai island here. Nothing.
I finally got that that tree in my avatar into a real pot this year :)
Since I can't make the trip, Steve is looking for a couple of trees to ship if they don't break the bank.
I retired TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and you may will probably see that in more than one thread.
Wow! Congratulations on retiring!
Even though I am only 1 1/2 hours away from plant city I still plan going as an all day trip because it is easy to spend hours and hours there. They are definitely nice people. I get all the shimpaku I have from them. I know they have some tree’s in pots they got from me. I plan to bring more for them soon. It’ll be interesting to see what tree’s they send you. I am wanting to go up there hopefully in the next few weeks. I think they got a lot of more material.

Top Bottom