Which pot is the best fit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was going to start to prep this tree for some club shows in the future. What pot out of my collection do you think will be the best for semi-competitive shows (bragging rights, and jabs at other members, lol).

1. Kataoka Toshio Yamaaki kiln
IMG_1318.JPG

2. Contemporary Chinese rectangle
IMG_1320.JPG

3. Unmarked Nanban
IMG_1323.JPG

4. Richard Robertson Glazed Nanban
IMG_1325.JPG

5. Contemporary Chinese Round 1
IMG_1326.JPG

6. Contemporary Chinese Round 2
IMG_1327.JPG

7. Taiko Earth Black Round
IMG_1329.JPG

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like 5,6,7 voted 6 but maybe its to distracting 7 is my seccond choice!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here are updated pictures with a white background, it took a lot of fiddling around! o_O

I didn't want to say it, but I was leaning towards more of a bunjin feel/styling with this tree. There are three pots I was torn between, but I didn't want to skew responses. Lets see what you all think.

The pics are in the same order

Attachments

• IMG_1344.JPG
    IMG_1344.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1346.JPG
    IMG_1346.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1348.JPG
    IMG_1348.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1349.JPG
    IMG_1349.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1350.JPG
    IMG_1350.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1351.JPG
    IMG_1351.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 94
Reaction score
Do you have any shallow ovals or rectangle? In its present state a shallow oval or rectangle would be the best.
Otherwise the unmarked nanban, number 3. The others are too deep and make the tree look like a stick.
You might want to highlight the sweet movement in the trunk, as that is the top feature of the tree, so choose one that goes well with it.
For the literati feel your top is too heavy. A literati is battered and scarred by his surroundings, and to show that struggle the rest of the story has to go with it. Lush and vigourous foliage is to that story like a perfect skin on a chainsmoker.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have the shallow rectangle grow pot on the left and the grey Taiko Earth oval on the right. I don't think either do much for the tree.

Attachments

• IMG_1353.JPG
    IMG_1353.JPG
    321.6 KB · Views: 92

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's hard to tell what the scale is like as the tree is behind the pot. If the scale is correct, then the Robertson is nice, although I'm unsure about it being glazed. I'm a sucker for Yamakki though so I might go that way, although that one seems a bit too deep for the tree.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you have any shallow ovals or rectangle? In its present state a shallow oval or rectangle would be the best.
Otherwise the unmarked nanban, number 3. The others are too deep and make the tree look like a stick.
You might want to highlight the sweet movement in the trunk, as that is the top feature of the tree, so choose one that goes well with it.
For the literati feel your top is too heavy. A literati is battered and scarred by his surroundings, and to show that struggle the rest of the story has to go with it. Lush and vigourous foliage is to that story like a perfect skin on a chainsmoker.

The foliage pads are too nice and well placed, I will be wiring, lightly thinning and moving the pads around, but I will NOT be chopping 75% of them off to turn this to a literati. Is it a rule that if it's in nanban it has to be a bunjin?

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I was in between 3, 4, and 7 with #3 being my first choice. I am glad to hear my bonsai senses are getting better. I still have time to search for a shallow oval, but this will be it for now.
PS for scale the nanban is 7.5 inches wide and 2.25 inches tall. The tree is 13 inches tall from the lip of the pot, the trunk is 1.5 in wide and the nebari is about 4 inches wide.

Attachments

• IMG_1355.JPG
    IMG_1355.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1356.JPG
    IMG_1356.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 82

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
#3 at 2 to 3 inches less wide, no glaze works, in my humble opinion far better for Junipers ;)

Pot her up as is in 3 :)

Grimmy

Lynn E

Mame
Reaction score
I've had the pleasure of meeting B and B recently. His talent and enthusiasm for this hobby are striking. He's doing things that some folks take years to master. Grafting, air layering, plan for a tanuki,
cutting grown maples, trunk splitting. And he started in this hobby very recently! Way to go B and B.
p.s. makes a great stout too.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The foliage pads are too nice and well placed, I will be wiring, lightly thinning and moving the pads around, but I will NOT be chopping 75% of them off to turn this to a literati. Is it a rule that if it's in nanban it has to be a bunjin?
Pardon me... did you say "pads"? I see clumps of foliage, but no pads. This tree needs a lot of work to become show ready. It's a nice tree, just unrulely.

A rule of thumb to go by for depth of pot is the depth of the pot should be about the same as the base of the trunk.

So, too my eye, all those pots look too deep. Maybe it's because of the way you took the pictures. It gives a better perspective if you move far away, 20 feet or so, and zoom in. Then the pot is less in the foreground, and the tree in the background. And get the camera even with the lip of the pot, so that only the front of the pot shows.

Top Bottom