What scares you more? Wind? Freeze?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Albuquerque has a slight cold snap for the next 3 days. Projected lows are not horrible 37 at the worst. It’s the winds that freak me out. 60 mph gusts tonight. I put everything under my benches on the ground all huddled together. Lots of leafed out deciduous and lots of recent repots.

I need some one to talk some sense in to me.

Should I bring everything in my garage? Should I be more worried about the 37 degrees than the wind?
DA3849A4-4934-4454-8623-CFA78F9321A1.png

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Forecast 30 degrees Tuesday morning, crape and azaleas will be hanging in the garage.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Albuquerque has a slight cold snap for the next 3 days. Projected lows are not horrible 37 at the worst. It’s the winds that freak me out. 60 mph gusts tonight. I put everything under my benches on the ground all huddled together. Lots of leafed out deciduous and lots of recent repots.

I need some one to talk some sense in to me.

Should I bring everything in my garage? Should I be more worried about the 37 degrees than the wind?
View attachment 368581
That god damn neighbors cat that took a shit on my Japanese Maple and knocked it over last week is what scares me.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine says 30F and rain.

Rain'll keep em from freezing.

You remember the last time this happened and everyone's trees died?

Me neither!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Living where I do...wind like that, I move things inside. So when things tend to hit the siding of the house. I know its not hitting my trees as well. I live with a ravine on one side of me and wooded area on the other side. So we get winds like that. We drive around the lake association to make sure roads are cleared. Before my husband heads off to work the next morning if it comes in late. Also check on neighbor's who aren't here who have summer cottages at our lake association. If there is a tree/branch on their house they need to know about it.

I live in a microclimate. If it's forecast to be 37F...I'm ten degrees colder for the most part. So my night temps until summer when they level out to what is forecast. I stay ten degrees higher when I two step. If its forecast to be 45F...and my outdoor temps are already significantly lower than the forecast hourly forecast. My trees dance to the greenhouse.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Deer. Definitely more worried about the deer. I plan every detail here to account for constant wind, with 60+ mph gusts a regular occurance. And those 60 degree days are in our forecast, but they always seem to be at least 9 days away. We have record low temps (9 degrees) predicted for Monday night. Whatever survives the wind and cold will be eaten by the deer.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What was the verdict/results?

This one has been out for at least a month....once it's growing, it can't fit thru the door! Far colder than 37 degrees and sure the leaf will "pucker". Recovered ok but I suspect I'll be de-foliating some tired foliage come July.

DSC00863.JPG

Pretty cold here this past week and heavy wet snow all day yesterday. Took a half day from work to at least get the snow off the branches. 4-6"? 25+ gusts of cold Canadian air as well.
Smaller re-pots, flowering and "hey, your small" went back to cover. JBP, juniper, scots, hornbeam and/or too big stayed out. Do more damage trying to wrangle it thru a too small opening I figure.

These have been out just as long and looked just as puckered prior to this....
DSC00869.JPG

....don't look like that now!!!! NOT black or dis-colored though....went "out" to take a pic but peeked out first without the camera and caught a rabbit sniffing around! Lil' punk!! Tons around here now.

Between the low temps and high winds, probably best to offer some protection to tender types, re-pots and flowering species....as long as your not causing just as much damage or allowing access to rodents.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brought in the crapes for sure as they were repotted recently and are leading out. Sensitive buggers that’s for sure. Also brought in my recently collected trees and several other of my smaller repots. All of my conifers stayed outside along with the tougher deciduous. Winds were nuts last night. Freaking LOUD. But the temps were not an issue. Supposed to get rain tonight and tomorrow which is a big deal here in NM. Everything will go back out to soak in that sweet sweet Mother Earth juice of life.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All my trees except american beech have fully leafed out and are mostly green, got them out of the 45mph gusts but its getting down to 28 for one hour then up to 30 for another hour then 32 for a few hours, if its only a few hours in the early morning should I bring them into the garage?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Wind to 144 mph killed most of my trees last year. The freeze in Feb 2021 may have delivered the final blow to some but the damage was mostly done by wind or salt water driven by wind. 37 deg F may slow the trees down some but it won’t kill them .

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
BOTH but the wind mostly.
Repotting brings out the worst of my paranoia
Hard freezes and 40 mph gusts tomorrow and have a few new potted up projects.
Hinoki and JM seem to dislike drying winds. Anything I've recently repotted comes into the sun room
for either wind or temps below 38ºF.

Top Bottom