What should I do with a “Ginseng”

Fedor

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello,

I am new to the forum and Bonsai, although I have liked it for a long time, since seeing Karate kid. Anyway, my wife bought me a bonsai and it has been growing in happily for 3 months.

I was looking for a Ficus Benjamina or a Green Island ficus. The “Ginseng” ficus I got doesn’t look too much like a potato, so I am very happy about that.

Last night, I cleaned up some dead aerial roots and got rid of the glued rocks. I also have been covering the bottom of the plant up to the lower branches with plastic wrap and misting (removing the plastic) daily, in effort to keep up humidity. I plan on building a mini greenhouse, possibly with a growing light (need advise on this) as iti is located inside, but so far it's growing very well (8-10 new leaves).

Anyway, I have been googling all over for info, but I would rather ask a knowledgeable community for their input on how to proceed.

Feel free to impart your vision for this plant, I’m all ears (or eyes).

Thank you,
Fedor
03152549-DA1F-4E88-AA11-8374B6103950.jpeg9DB7418A-451F-40B9-9E04-83CA2F14378F.jpeg7C2DB03E-EF54-404F-9F5E-B6E3CE5AB1FB.jpegC88C1A61-59B3-4885-9902-17E2EFD49DE0.jpegFC0B7D01-30C3-4DD1-B6F7-3FCE275634E3.jpeg44D81D3E-8EE1-4543-9016-23CBF854A06C.jpeg

Fedor

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How much tuber should be chopped?

I would like to keep some of the roots, as I like the character.
There is one root that definately has to go.
I'm thinking cut it and increase the angle of the plant a bit, in order to expose a little more of the roots that I think (I Don't know what I'm doing) look nice.

On a side note, I assume my Japanese pull saw will do fine with this. Hopefully that isn't overkill.

7C2DB03E-EF54-404F-9F5E-B6E3CE5AB1FB.jpeg44D81D3E-8EE1-4543-9016-23CBF854A06C.jpeg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yours is more of a mess than mine was.
I think you will be turning it into a cutting, basically....but try to keep some flare at the base for new roots to grow from.

Fedor

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would wait till its nice and warm outside, so it can recover quickly.
Thank you very much, I will put the saw away... For now.
Do you have any other advise on things I can do at the moment, or should I just water it and let it do It's thing?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
just water it and let it do It's thing
And fertilize!
I use pinches of 20-20-20 water soluble fertilizer from Jack's in the winter.

Edit: I also have a good amount of artificial light on my tropicals over winter .....I try to push them a bit.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not any help on your ficus but you mentioned you are looking for benjamini or green island. Go to Wigerts for ficus. I have 6 or more varieties from them. Three new ones coming this week.
Sorry I am no good on Ginseng ficus. I had one given to me and I rooted the top branches off and through the base away.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm not any help on your ficus but you mentioned you are looking for benjamini or green island. Go to Wigerts for ficus. I have 6 or more varieties from them. Three new ones coming this week.
Sorry I am no good on Ginseng ficus. I had one given to me and I rooted the top branches off and through the base away.
Is green island another name for microcarpa?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don’t think this is a grafted “ginseng” ficus. Looks like a complete microcarpa.

I agree with @GSCarlson this appears to be a normal F. microcarpa. The tubers come from a combination of crowding the roots and exposing them to air. For the most part, you will only see tubers on a small tree that has been specifically trained to develop tubers. You can see fields and fields of them in Asia... because they sell well at retail.

Here is what a F. microcarpa bonsai can look like... the tubers are just to test your bonsai skills :)

micro.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The ficus bonsai I had and decapitated was a graft. I cut the grafts off and rooted them. It was Green Island.

Fedor

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I believe there are a lot of microcarpa and Green Island is just one of them. Frequently the Ginseng ficus is microcarpa grafted on the bulbous roots.
Thank you very much for pointing this out. I thought the tubers liked small compared to a “ginseng”, but I would not have known. I do think it’s a Ficus Retusa (I thought it had a retusa graft before) due to the leaf shape, but I could be wrong again. This may be why my wife says I’m only right 10% of the time.

Fedor

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I
And fertilize!

Edit: I also have a good amount of artificial light on my tropicals over winter .....I try to push them a bit.
Thank you very much, I was unsure of fertilization during winter. There’s a lot of differing info online. I’ll be picking up the Jack’s (maybe today).
I recognized the tub when I looked it up, story about that fertilizer; way back in the day, my mother had a big tub of it for all of her non bonsai ficus and umbrella plants. One day, my brother was aching for attention and subsequently rushed to the hospital by ambulance after claiming to have eaten some of the fertilizer. The truth came out in the end that the whole thing was a hoax, I don’t know how he managed to stay alive after the bill came.

Fedor

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I
And fertilize!

Thank you very much, I was unsure of fertilization during winter. There’s a lot of differing info online. I’ll be picking up the Jack’s (maybe today).
I recognized the tub when I looked it up, story about that fertilizer; way back in the day, my mother had a big tub of it for all of her non bonsai ficus and umbrella plants. One day, my brother was aching for attention and claimed to have eaten

Top Bottom