What should i do with these Scotts Pines?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just bought these little guys from Lowes for 12$. I want to plant them in my growing bed. I'm wondering should branch select and wire them right now when they're pliable, or just get them on the ground and let thrive for the rest of the year?

Attachments

• IMG_20220525_153836.jpg
    IMG_20220525_153836.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20220525_153918.jpg
    IMG_20220525_153918.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20220525_154008.jpg
    IMG_20220525_154008.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20220525_153947.jpg
    IMG_20220525_153947.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 55

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The 27th and 28th are "good transplanting days".

Doesn't seem anything that MUST be wired, I'd want to remove some excess Low stuff before it cramps your design.

Seems plenty growth above the designable part to allow for health.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice buy. I love Scots Pine. I would take a good look at each and try to determine where you want to take them. If unsure, put them in boxes, pond pots or ground. They do well all ways but if in ground they may get away from you. I have some in pond pots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love Scots too, if these were mine I would heavily wire the trunk only and bend it a bunch then plant them in the ground to re-visit in a few years. In a few years I would prune and re-wire for good movement then grow for a few more years and root prune. I have tried growing lots of stuff in the ground and for some reason the only success I have had with much consistency is Scots Pines.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Put some wire on them and put some shape in those trunks BUT I would prefer to do that in the fall to prevent possible bark slip and killing the trunk or branches

GeorgeAlexander

Seedling
Reaction score
Just bought these little guys from Lowes for 12$. I want to plant them in my growing bed. I'm wondering should branch select and wire them right now when they're pliable, or just get them on the ground and let thrive for the rest of the year?
Nice find, we never get scots at Lowes in the states.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice buy. I love Scots Pine. I would take a good look at each and try to determine where you want to take them. If unsure, put them in boxes, pond pots or ground. They do well all ways but if in ground they may get away from you. I have some in pond pots.
I'm putting them in Ponds baskets, in a raised bed. How do they "get away from you?"

Put some wire on them and put some shape in those trunks BUT I would prefer to do that in the fall to prevent possible bark slip and killing the trunk or branches
I like that plan of wiring in the fall.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm putting them in Ponds baskets, in a raised bed. How do they "get away from you?"

I like that plan of wiring in the fall.
Often plants in the ground can outgrow our expectations in short order and become difficult to harvest. This is especially problematic with pines because transplanting requires more care than deciduous trees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Often plants in the ground can outgrow our expectations in short order and become difficult to harvest. This is especially problematic with pines because transplanting requires more care than deciduous trees.
That's why I plant in pond baskets, makes the harvesting a bit easier.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Should I candle prune now, or wait until the summer?

Candle pruning is done on developed trees in the refinement stage, not on developing trees. If you want these to get thicker trunks, you need to let them grow a sacrifice leader and use the lower branches to develop for future design.

Also we don't cut candles on Scots pines because they are single flush pines. Candle cutting is done on double flush pines like JBP. With scotts we pinch (cut in half) long candles in the spring to control energy and growth.

There are threads here about growing out pines.

I understand your excitement and enthusiasm but be careful you don't do too much to these on one season and overwork them to death

Top Bottom