What size pot for my maple

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi everyone, just looking for a bit guidance for my maple . I want it in a bigger pot so I can develop this trunk and fatten it up a bit . I don't have room in the ground for it.
I want to go big so I can get rapid growth but I'm not sure how big is too big .
The pot it's in at moment is very small not sure the actual size of it . .
I've made a wooden box up but looking at it I think will be too big ill post pics later but recommendations for a upgrade in potsize appreciated
Thanks 😊

Attachments

• 20210413_174830.jpg
    20210413_174830.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 20210411_173650.jpg
    20210411_173650.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 119

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
From the leaf size I guess that pot is around 6" diameter.
Normally we upsize just a couple of pot sizes but when trees are this size and healthy as this is it won't hurt to go straight to a grow box even if it is a couple of feet sq.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I honestly think it's a 4 inch pot its in at moment I'll measure later on . I have a grow box i made that's a couple square foot and maybe an inch deeper than the pot it's in at moment. So you reckon that'll be OK for it then ?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Even at 4" pot I still think it looks healthy and large enough to fill out a grow box quick enough to not be worried.
Measure the box size too. A couple of square foot is only half the size of a couple of foot square! The words are the same but the order makes a big difference mathematically.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I put it in my growbox if you'll excuse the mitres I didn't have a chopsaw handy that day 🤣

The growbox is 10x10x4.

Tree looks lost now but as long as its healthy and growing more 👌

Attachments

• 20210422_190145.jpg
    20210422_190145.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 109

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Large container is what you need for this stage of development.
Mitred corners is a bit flash. I would just have done butt joints for a grow box.
What is the base made from? Looks a bit like particle board which swells up and disintegrates real quick but as you know about mitre joints I'm sure you also understand about particle board not being weather proof.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yeah it's only OSB I know it will rot in time However it should give me long enough for roots to fill pot then I'll upgrade again. Was just some offcuts of wood I had lying around so thought I'd put them to use.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it's too late now, but why didn't you prune those long shoots?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I think it's too late now, but why didn't you prune those long shoots?
I don't know why I didn't. Im a gardening and bonsai novice and done a lot of hasty sh it last year. So I decided this year I was gonna focus on just keeping my trees healthy and do a bit more reading and ask for a few more hints on here before I killed anything else .
Would I of been better off pruning off the long shoots ?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No reason to cut shoots back if your goal is trunk thickening. If you didnt prune roots, no reason, imo, to prune back.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't know why I didn't. Im a gardening and bonsai novice and done a lot of hasty sh it last year. So I decided this year I was gonna focus on just keeping my trees healthy and do a bit more reading and ask for a few more hints on here before I killed anything else .
Would I of been better off pruning off the long shoots ?

No reason to cut shoots back if your goal is trunk thickening. If you didnt prune roots, no reason, imo, to prune back.

Top Bottom