What size Sifter screen?

BajaKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Not going to be producing trees for a competition but want to prepare soils properly. If you were buying a sifter what size mesh? 1/2" too big. 1/8" too small. 1.4" just right?

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I actually use all three sizes. First I sift through the half inch to remove the bigger chunks. What's in the screen is used for drainage layer or driveway fill. Then I sift through 1/4" to collect large planting size. What goes through is sifted through 1/8" to remove fines and collect smaller planting size. The fines I use for cuttings and driveway fill.
My sifter comes with several sized screens, but I've lost all the others because I never used them.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Anyone know where I can find a 3/8 sifter? I was going to use hardware cloth then I found out it only comes in 1/2” or 1/4”. I have done some searching but haven’t yet found anything.
I usually use Napa 8822 and it gives super fine roots which is good but I need to build the nebari. I read on here larger Diameter soil helps build larger roots.
thanks!

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Anyone know where I can find a 3/8 sifter? I was going to use hardware cloth then I found out it only comes in 1/2” or 1/4”. I have done some searching but haven’t yet found anything.
I usually use Napa 8822 and it gives super fine roots which is good but I need to build the nebari

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Anything that drops through 1/2” but is caught by the 1/4” should work out to be in the 3/8” range. Do you want only between 3/8” and 1/4” sizes? With the 1/2”-1/4” the biggest particles will probably only be 7/16” and smallest would be 5/16” approximately.

I also sift 1/8” and use that layer for shohin soil, and fines to make potting soil for other plants.

Top Bottom