What soil mix do you use for desert rose?

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
I made a mistake of using bonsai soil to pot desert rose, which caused root rot. Could you please suggest what soil blend works for desert rose? Thank you.

ChefB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
what is your bonsai mix? I don’t think you should be watering it in the winter.

ChefB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I mixed coco peat and coco coir with some sand, turface, pumice and bio char. After a few waterings some coir and pumice floated to the top and I just dumped it off. They seem to be fine.

ChefB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I

Attachments

• 5571582D-888C-4F13-86CC-FE7364035E5F.jpeg
    5571582D-888C-4F13-86CC-FE7364035E5F.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 16

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I made a mistake of using bonsai soil to pot desert rose, which caused root rot. Could you please suggest what soil blend works for desert rose? Thank you.
Bonsai soil doesn't cause root rot. It's inorganic and free flowing, it doesn't stay water logged, that's literally the point of it.
If you water correctly, pretty much any soil can be used. I have some in potting soil that do just fine. They come in a sand/compost mix from Costa Farms.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I use 1:1 potting soil/pumice on some, and pumice/lava on others. Honestly, the ones in the potting soil seem to do a little better for me. Mine aren't in bonsai pots though, most are in teracotta bulb pots. The medium shouldn't matter as much as your watering habits. In the summer, I water them every other day or less; in the winter, I don't water at all.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I use cactus/succulent soil for mine, it does fine.

Top Bottom