What species ficus is this?

hoodbonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi all this is my first post. I'm trying to find the species of one of my trees and maybe some styling/wiring ideas. Thanks!!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 73

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would be easier with the light on the tree, not behind and possibly pictures of foliage on a plain background... but my guess is willow leaf ficus or F. Salicifolia aka F. salicaria

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yea thats a willow leaf, they are a good indoor plant or outside in the shade and protected form the wind.

ws

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Some people prefer Ficus nerifolia for it's Latin name. Same plant - willow leaf Ficus, just has controversial history with the official namers. It's a very good subject for bonsai. Easy to keep healthy, tolerates a wide range of conditions, forgiving, backbuds well, etc. I have a few little ones, and I don't bother putting them in the shade. They do fine.

As for styling, if you trim all of those branches way back, the growth will become much more compact. The branches will divide closer to the trunk - better ramification. It's a little scary taking a branch branch back beyond all the leaves, but if this plant is healthy it will respond with new growth soon on just about every one that you trim back. Then each growth will become 2 or 3 smaller branches at that point, each with smaller leaves than it has now.

Assuming that it's summer where you live, I'd put it outside. Others may disagree, but that's my opinion.

Have fun!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mat, thats definetly true in central Florida, the humidity is a major bonus there and the weather is never really that hot. I was going by my summer experience here in Ohio, they do not like 100+ degree weather and the drying wind, even with moisture retaining soil they dry right up, shade helps as long as its protected from the wind.

ed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hoodbonsai, I was just looking at your plant again, its got some nice nebari (exposed roots) showing. It seems to be a pretty good trunk too, you are asking about styling it, they lend themselves perfectly to a Hokidachi or broom style. I would consider air layering that tree right below the top "y" fork in the trunk and make a nice small twin trunk tree and the bottom section would benefit from the layering too as it would look thicker making the tree seem older.

ed

Top Bottom