What species is this collected garden conifer?

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I collected this last year and it looks like some kind of juniper; has both juvenile needle and mature scale foliage. Its starting to bud back well. I will cleanup a bit and fertilize heavily this year. Does anyone here know what this might be? Thank you. 332BF45E-3932-4954-892E-5B60532FE079.jpegF588A602-9F6E-4A98-B814-02E3C2C949C9.jpegA77A0CE2-2CFF-46A2-8C03-5149EC5EF1C5.jpeg53A3BEAB-10C0-49A8-A775-1C00541B7C75.jpeg

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It's a juniper for sure. There's no way to be certain exactly which cultivar, but if I had to take a wild guess, I'd go with Old Gold. The color is right and it's one of the most commonly sold species in So Cal. But again, it could be any of a number of juniper cultivars.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
With a trunk that straight I'd say some junipers can be ruled out due to their drooping habit.
The foliage makes me want to say pfizer, but the trunk not flopping over at a foot tall makes me question that.
Some scopulorum cultivars are straight as an arrow. But their foliage is more blue/glaucous in general. Scopulorum has a typical smell though: it doesn't have the "sweet" hint that other junipers have and it's more like spicy cat piss than it is eucalyptus-like..

The size of the needles and the distance between them makes me think ERC.

Any berries? Flowering structures?
My grey owl ERC is flowering now (female) and my pfizer males have finished a couple weeks ago. My chinensis females (shimpaku too) are flowering since last month, nearing the end of that cycle.

Anything you can find, could add to a positive ID.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
With a trunk that straight I'd say some junipers can be ruled out due to their drooping habit.
The foliage makes me want to say pfizer, but the trunk not flopping over at a foot tall makes me question that.
Some scopulorum cultivars are straight as an arrow. But their foliage is more blue/glaucous in general. Scopulorum has a typical smell though: it doesn't have the "sweet" hint that other junipers have and it's more like spicy cat piss than it is eucalyptus-like..

The size of the needles and the distance between them makes me think ERC.

Any berries? Flowering structures?
My grey owl ERC is flowering now (female) and my pfizer males have finished a couple weeks ago. My chinensis females (shimpaku too) are flowering since last month, nearing the end of that cycle.

Anything you can find, could add to a positive ID.
No flowers or berries. But I will keep an eye out for those in the future. It certainly could be eastern red cedar. Thank you.

Top Bottom