What steps to take???

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
So I recieved a very expensive piece of bonsai stock today via UPS from a well known source.. The pot was shattered, roots exposed, and branches broken... This is a Trident Maple with a 4 inch trunk!! Who is to blame and what steps to take.. I called UPS and they will have somebody here tomorrow.. I don't wanna slip pot it until the necessary steps are taken..

Thank's Don

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why not contact the seller and see what he/she would recommend?

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don, document everything! Take pic's, email exchange, phone calls, everything.
Wood

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Sent emails and pics and am now waiting for a response.. Unfortunately I do not have and was told he doesn't have a phone as he is in kind of a remote place..

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
This is why I always have the tree shipped without the pot wrapped in sphagnum and plastic.

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
OK.. It is fully leafed out.. I slip potted it and got bonsai soil in every crack and crevice.. Watered, fed, then watered again.. What can I do to assure this tree has a chance to live? Or I'm out $$$

Don

DaveG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Don, the situation probably isn't as grim as you fear. The good news is, at least it was in an enclosed space. That should have kept the humidity level higher than ambient humidity, which probably saved most of the roots from drying too much. Getting it back in a pot fast and watering it was definitely the right thing to do. Keep it watered and watch it to make sure it's able to maintain turgor pressure. I would guess its biggest enemy in the coming weeks will be sustained strong dry wind, so keep it sheltered from that. Of course, if it's a strong wind that brings rain, don't be shy about letting it drink up.

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thank's Dave.. It has been a bit windy around here, but I can somewhat combat that.. I will keep it fed and watered..

Don

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with Dave... it is not likely as dire as you think... other than getting the pot replaced. If I had something like that happen and I needed to preserve it's arrival condition... I would have packed it with wet sphagnum around exposed areas... that would keep it well enough for a day or two.

Tridents are pretty tough cookies. I'd be surprised if it noticed. :D

V

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I am going to give the guy a couple days to make it better.. I have sent emails with pictures.. If he doesn't make it better I will rain hell on his name and nursery!! ;) Who ships without using popcorn?? The tree is huge!! My 4 year old niece coulda done a better job..

DaveG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think the worst packing/shipping job I've ever seen was this time I bought a couple clay teapots from China that were supposed to be "antiques", pretty much knowing full-well what they were. I figured, "Oh well, they'd still look nice on a shelf." When I finally got them in the mail, they were nearly obliterated. Luckily, I was actually able to get a refund from the seller. But I also glued them back together just to see what they originally looked like. To my surprise, the shipping box wasn't quite big enough for them. Most likely, the packer crushed them trying to jam them in there.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Shade, regular misting of the leaves, out of the wind, and don't move it for any reason until mid-June and it should be fine. Like the others said, Tris are tough, but their vulnerability is definitely the new roots.

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
wind is extremely bad here right now.. Imagine that.. It's all stacked against me right now.. I put it in the unconditioned bathroom which is really small.. I have a humidifier keeping it at 70% humidity.. That's the best I can do for it til the wind passes...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really wouldn't worry about it. Tridents are bulletproof, tough as nails. When I root prune mine, I regularly remove 90 percent of the root mass.

Also for what it's worth, tridents and other maples have a second repotting season- They can be repotted in full leaf when the leaves are "leather hard" That usually happens in June around here. I've done it several times.

I'd be more worried about the snow forecast out there by Sun. night--frost also. I've got my fingers crossed we don't get frost here in No. Va. Sunday night.

Top Bottom