what style for ficus b. kiki?

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wanted suggestions on what to do with this ficus. Was thinking formal upright or eventually a group planting. My first ficus, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20120618_180552.jpg
    IMG_20120618_180552.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 89

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
Also, it won't be going in the pot beneath.... Just had it sitting there for the photo.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Can't really tell what kind of branching you have going on from your pictures, but an upright sounds right. Search the web for Formal Upright Ficus bonsai and see what you get, then use those pictures to style this guy. For now, if you see bar branches, remove them (not both branches, just one), as swelling will occur there.

yogiman

Seed
Reaction score
Wouldn't rule out broom style. But I wouldn't do much until you can get the trunk to thicken up for a couple of years

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
First, as always, you'll want to make sure you can keep it happy and healthy. As far as styling, I'd recommend thinking about how tall you want it to be, and then about how thick the trunk should be to go along with that height. Then you'll want to start thinking about taper and movement. If you're going to try a broom, formal upright or a group planting, then movement is less important.

Have fun. Ficus are good plants to learn and practice with.

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ended up going with informal upright. Introduced a few bends to the trunk and am working on some wiring and weighting down on the branches. Will post a few pics once I'm done today. Thanks for the suggestions!

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's a good size kiki, may I ask where you get it from? I have a kiki which I bought in a 4" pot and it's a very slow growing tree compared to the macrocarpa types.

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
She's certainly tall. Got it from Otts Exotic Plants in Schwenksville, PA. Place is a must see imo if you're into exotics and in the area. I've wired and clipped a few decent sized branches. Hopefully they root.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yea I was going to say looks like you have a lot of cuttings to make. That is a pretty nicer sized Kiki good find.

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
Was tucked away in the back amongst some random stuff. Pretty happy with it. Not going to go crazy with cuts until I can get it to thicken up a bit more.

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
IMG_20120705_212233.jpg

Think this is where I'm stopping for now. Still might remove a few branches down towards the bottom. The picture is slightly deceiving in that area. None protrude from the trunk at the same level as it sort of appears.

I think I'll just keep it wired for a few months, fertilize and keep it healthy to maintain growth. See where we stand come fall. I'd like to really thicken the branches before trimming back and worrying about ramification. Too twiggy, as I read these benjaminas usually are.

Any suggestions are welcome. And yes I know the wiring is an eyesore.

Top Bottom