What the difference between Ocean sand and River sand

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Water drips out of the drainage holes of the pot ( I'm using normal bonsai pots )

So that's three layer below the soil mixture ( pumice , bark & spagnum moss )
I really don't see a problem
Normal bonsai pots have water perched on top of the bottom of the container after watering.

You don’t see a problem not because no problem exists but because you have closed your mind to information that contradicts the views you hold. You’re going to do what you’re going to do, however irrational that may be.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'll see if any water comes out of my pots today ( we will see what happens )
happy to admit if I'm wrong

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well I checked my three pots that were watered at 0600 today . I checked them at 1830 once I got home from the business.So the pots were sitting in drip trays for 12.5 hours and no water dripped out of each pot ( each pot was lifted and tilted in all directions ) the drip trays was empty by my wife .
I have no problem doing exactly what I doing right now and suggest you can try this method yourself and come to your own conclusion

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
next question, why is your avatar a picture of an airsoft gun?

sorry needed to change the subject this wasnt going anywhere

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well I bought another Air rifle at the same time I joined Bonsainut . i am also a collector of air rifles etc….

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Heading to the West Coast on Saturday I want to get a bucket of iron sand for my bonsai pots ( extra weight for outside bonsai pots in the prevailing winds )

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well I checked my three pots that were watered at 0600 today . I checked them at 1830 once I got home from the business.So the pots were sitting in drip trays for 12.5 hours and no water dripped out of each pot ( each pot was lifted and tilted in all directions ) the drip trays was empty by my wife .
I have no problem doing exactly what I doing right now and suggest you can try this method yourself and come to your own conclusion
I watered my ficus thoroughly via immersion and set it back up on the bench. I came back a couple hours later. No water was coming out of the drainage holes as the pot sat level on the bench. I picked up the pot and held it tilted at an angle. Moments later, water started pouring out of the pot, as I knew it would, as I have seen it do thousands of times.

Either you didn’t water the tree thoroughly, didn’t tilt the pot at a steep enough angle, didn’t hold the tilt angle consistently long enough for gravity to move the water to drain it, or the transpiration rate for your tree is high enough right now that it’s drying out and wicking that moisture up into the rootball within 12 hours (plausible, considering that it’s late spring/early summer in NZ now; could also happen if your trees are underpotted).

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
While I know the intentions are good, it's a pointless argument.

The OP doesn't want any opinion or answer other than those that fit theirs. Doesn't want to pay for "dirt", thinks trees in nature is the same as a potted tree and knows better than everyone else with their years of experience.

Leave it be and let this useless thread die.
When trees start losing vigor and going downhill, there may be an epiphany. If not then 🤷‍♀️

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Either you didn’t water the tree thoroughly, didn’t tilt the pot at a steep enough angle, didn’t hold the tilt angle consistently long enough for gravity to move the water to drain it, or the transpiration rate for your tree is high enough right now that it’s drying out and wicking that moisture up into the rootball within 12 hours (plausible, considering that it’s late spring/early summer in NZ now; could also happen if your trees are underpotted).
Sorry I've already told you what I did and you have come to you own conclusion .

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry I've already told you what I did and you have come to you own conclusion .
Nah, you're just gaslighting (which is what I suspected before, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt and wrote the most charitable explanation). Bye.

Top Bottom