What the hell happened to this tree?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soooo. I was out checking my trees when I noticed that my Ash Group was very bare. Branches appear to have been cut all over the dam thing. Not a single branch is on the bench or on the ground under the bench. WTF.

All I can think is that a bird has decided that these branches would be perfect for a nest somewhere near by? Hopefully the tree pushes buds to fill in the gaps.
FA81E78C-B036-4D7F-BE49-E03F54BAF6BC.jpeg975F1549-BEC2-471D-895F-6FE09373EA4C.jpegD4760649-F234-4E69-B878-5B5A08729DB3.jpeg603B01CE-E00F-46C7-95C3-8BC1DF1F38EC.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A phantom pruner on the loose🧐
Haha. I swear I thought the same thing. Is it my kids? But I also in the past have sleep walked. I legitimately considered the idea of pruning in my sleep. But the branches don’t fully appear pruned. It’s also weird to not find a single branch anywhere near.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The twigs are too small for a deer to bother with. If it were a deer you'd be missing larger branching...Those shoots have been bitten through individually. That is rodent damage. Do you have chipmunks/ground squirrels/squirrels around? I have had similar damage to maples and I have a resident chipmunk who is responsible.

Coopers hawk is likely looking for the same rodent you are...not for nesting material. Hawks need larger branches to make nests out of. They also won't strip vegetation to make a nest, but work with blow down/dead branches already on the ground.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In
The twigs are too small for a deer to bother with. If it were a deer you'd be missing larger branching...Those shoots have been bitten through individually. That is rodent damage. Do you have chipmunks/ground squirrels/squirrels around? I have had similar damage to maples and I have a resident chipmunk who is responsible.

Coopers hawk is likely looking for the same rodent you are...not for nesting material. Hawks need larger branches to make nests out of. They also won't strip vegetation to make a nest, but work with blow down/dead branches already on the ground.
like that thought but we’ve got Tiny mice and very few to no squirrels. Maybe a pack rat. 🤷🏼‍♂️

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Looks like rodents to me. I thought birds grab stuff off the ground.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Also… just a thought, that hawk may be there looking for whatever did this.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have had similar problems this year, never before.
I have always had rodents around. There has always been racoons.
I never seen rabbits in the neighborhood before, but noticed a bunny this year.

Kilw the wabbit!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A bummer either way. But
Also… just a thought, that hawk may be there looking for whatever did this.

you guys are probably both right. I thought it wired that a bird would take the time to clear twigs off of live trees.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For the tree I’ll just have to see how it recovers. So late in the year and I doubt it back buds.

but what do you suggest I do about the varmint? Never had to deal with this before!!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's the guy who took care of my chipmunk problem --at least for a while, til the rodent was replaced...I'd bet your raptor friend will do the same for you. He's obviously on to something or he wouldn't risk sitting on your furniture. 😁

Attachments

• blacksnake.jpg
    blacksnake.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 98
Top Bottom