What the most rare bonsai tree you own ?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Metrosideros - New Zealand Christmas tree. Common tree but I've not seen it used for bonsai by anyone else in the US.

How about a weird, American elm looking tree with corky elm bark? https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/very-corky-american-elm.36222/#post-608768
metrosideros--

I also think the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum has one also, or maybe that's a Christmas Berry...

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
metrosideros--

I also think the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum has one also, or maybe that's a Christmas Berry...

Thanks for the link. I had missed that one

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
New Zealand Christmas tree ( Pohutukawa ) are plant everwhere by the local councils ( mostly on the street verge )
People don't bother with bonsai on these tree cause they are seen so much ( native here in NZ )

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Carol83 has some seeds which she is growing
I posted my reply before I saw yours. Hopefully, some will come up. Some of the other ones you sent are growing!

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My rainbow eucalyptus is arguably the unicorn of bonsai hahaha. Seeds for rainbow eucalyptus are sold everywhere (Amazon, eBay, Etsy) for bonsai and discussed even on BonsaiNut in a thread more than a decade ago. Yet a bonafide bonsai of rainbow eucalyptus is never seen. I've searched for one off and on for the last 3 years. Mine is no exception. I tried and only get it to barely look like a prebonsai. Here is a link to one on Etsy being sold as a rare bonsai. Yet that one actually is less than 2 years old in my estimate.
Yeah, rainbow eucalyptus are indeed rare as bonsai. I thought perhaps I'd see one exhibited at the virtual World Bonsai Convention 2022 since it was hosted from Australia. I saw many other species indigenous to Australia in the exhibits but did not see even one eucalyptus bonsai.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I posted my reply before I saw yours. Hopefully, some will come up. Some of the other ones you sent are growing!

If you don't get any germinating let me know. Come fall I might be able to collect a bunch locally. When I did this a few years back I got more seedlings than I could handle.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Rusty blackhaw Viburnum rufidulum, is not rare in its natural habitat. But I've never seen one as bonsai except for mine.

I happen to have one as a pre-bonsai, but development has proven tricky. A large section of trunk died when I chopped it, so now I have a very wide, short tree with no apex. Hopefully, I will see more progress this year.

Also, I found I was pinching off new suckers just about every day over the summer.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Probably not rare, but more uncommon in the US. I have an ungrafted Omoi no mama prunus mume ive been working for a while. its ready to flower, hopefully a good mix of the pink and white.
DAC4E2C6-EC61-4EC7-B411-419808C5E775.jpeg7D1E4806-D428-4951-A2A4-77E5DCB6AD94.jpeg

Mume in general aren’t super common as bonsai in the US and most of what I have seen are white flowers. I had one of those as well ungrafted too, but recently sold it.
27844596-F78E-490A-888B-F1D99D6A0D23.jpeg

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I happen to have one as a pre-bonsai, but development has proven tricky. A large section of trunk died when I chopped it, so now I have a very wide, short tree with no apex. Hopefully, I will see more progress this year.

Also, I found I was pinching off new suckers just about every day over the summer.

Yes and yes! It is not an easy species to work with. Despite our long growing season, mine only has one flush of growth in the spring, and that's it. I've been meaning to start a thread about this tree.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes and yes! It is not an easy species to work with. Despite our long growing season, mine only has one flush of growth in the spring, and that's it. I've been meaning to start a thread about this tree.

Beautiful fall color, though. Plus, the red around the leaf edges gives the foliage a nice texture.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
My rainbow eucalyptus is arguably the unicorn of bonsai hahaha. Seeds for rainbow eucalyptus are sold everywhere (Amazon, eBay, Etsy) for bonsai and discussed even on BonsaiNut in a thread more than a decade ago. Yet a bonafide bonsai of rainbow eucalyptus is never seen. I've searched for one off and on for the last 3 years. Mine is no exception. I tried and only get it to barely look like a prebonsai. Here is a link to one on Etsy being sold as a rare bonsai. Yet that one actually is less than 2 years old in my estimate.
I have one of those, grown from seed 5 years ago, and it's still just a stick in a pot.

Top Bottom