What to buy your bonsai enthusiast for Christmas!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Our annual "what to buy" thread. Come up with some great (and obscure) ideas to add to our Christmas lists!

Reaction score
A heavy duty stand and a set of carving tools are on my list.

stand:
http://www.stonelantern.com/Delux_Bonsai_Tree_Adjustable_Turntable_Workstand_p/ttdws.htm

thinking this carving tool set:
http://www.stonelantern.com/Bonsai_tree_carving_tools_by_Bonsai_Aesthetics_p/tc6cs.htm

any feed back on that tool set?

If your looking for a heavy duty stand to work on your trees start looking in the classifieds and on craigslist and antique shops for old barber chairs. The stands rotate and go up and down and can handle hundreds of pounds. Much more useful and you might find one alot cheaper.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is on my bonsai Christmas list:

dsc_2012v.jpg

I wonder if Walter will give to me... I'm pretty sure it won't fit in my stocking.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If your looking for a heavy duty stand to work on your trees start looking in the classifieds and on craigslist and antique shops for old barber chairs. The stands rotate and go up and down and can handle hundreds of pounds. Much more useful and you might find one alot cheaper.

While this is true I can tell you that I can put that stand in my car.... its very portable and I love mine.... I bring it in the house and work all the time... we bought one for Daniel as well and he mostly leaves his outside.... they are almost industructable.... the weight limit is around 300lbs or so... and thats just cuz of the top being wood...

the barber chairs are great but you should at least own one of these (I think Vic and I will be buying a second one soon) ... buy it from Dale Cochoy tho.... he drop ships them and they are about the same price.... plus you can pick up some carving bits while you are at it :)

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was looking at something like these to store sifted potting media. Some of you will laugh, I'm sure, but there are others of you wondering why you didn't think of it.

http://www.rosseto.com/Gallery/?g=74

this would be useful for mixed sifted fines to use as top dressing... good idea... we keep ours in scoop bins but this would be very convenient for shohin especially

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While this is true I can tell you that I can put that stand in my car.... its very portable and I love mine.... I bring it in the house and work all the time... we bought one for Daniel as well and he mostly leaves his outside.... they are almost industructable.... the weight limit is around 300lbs or so... and thats just cuz of the top being wood...

the barber chairs are great but you should at least own one of these (I think Vic and I will be buying a second one soon) ... buy it from Dale Cochoy tho.... he drop ships them and they are about the same price.... plus you can pick up some carving bits while you are at it :)

I agree that these are fantastic, and indestructable. I have the table top version, which is easy for me to put on a table and work on my trees. I went that route rather than the one with the stand and legs because I'm considering buying a hydraulic lift cart to help me move my bigger trees (to greatly lower the risk of hurting my back in that I won't have to bend down too much to put the trees on a cart). The lift cart could also double as a table top, so I probably would get more use going that direction rather than buying the one with the stand and legs. Just something to consider.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I've read your suggestion on that before it's a good one. My problem I have to many projects and I've been planning on building one for a while and it just has not happened. Also as mentioned by Agl3 it sure doesn't sound very portable.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A club member of mine gave a presentation on a cheap effective "how-to" build a turntable. I've used the high-end stands, and they are certainly the best, but this is a great alternative for a smaller budget. Just follow this link and click on the article title. http://sites.google.com/site/cnybonsai/articles

Dave

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here's the Christmas present I wrestled away...er, uh, bought, from Brent @ Evergreen. It arrived today (as evidenced by this photo my bride sent me) :D

Brents box.jpg

More over the weekend perhaps...

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's the Christmas present I wrestled away...er, uh, bought, from Brent @ Evergreen. It arrived today (as evidenced by this photo my bride sent me) :D

View attachment 19707

More over the weekend perhaps...

Did Santa bring one of Brent's specimen cork bark elms? Santa came early for me a couple of months ago with one, and I was a very happy little boy :D

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Did Santa bring one of Brent's specimen cork bark elms? Santa came early for me a couple of months ago with one, and I was a very happy little boy :D

I been eyeballing one of those as well..... tho elms are a lot of work :p

Top Bottom