What to Do about Larch Branch

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
In the beginning of the season, this branch put out some needles, but the growth was very weak. The branch has been progressively getting worse, and this is what it now looks like. Is there any chance the branch is still alive closer to the trunk? What should I do about it?

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's probably gone. Scratch the bark on the branch near the trunk and see if there's any living tissue under there. But I don't see any evidence of healthy buds in those dried up tufts so you probably lost it.

Edit to add - sometimes dormant buds at the base of the branch will activate in cases like this, which might give you a chance to regrow a branch there.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The branch looks dried out. Did you make the large cut in the branch this winter?

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
I didn't make any cuts, but the previous owner did. I just checked; the whole branch is dead. If I cut it off, would it heal over eventually or kill more of the trunk?

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
I think this tree has enough jin, but I'll take it into consideration. I don't own any branch cutters at the moment, so I might need to get some if I decide to cut it off (can I safely and neatly cut it off without a pair of branch cutters?)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
In nature, larch are often tall skinny trees. If larch have good sun and the correct ground moisture the branches fill out for a number of years. Then at a certain maturity (might be height induced?), typically only the top 1/3 of the tree holds branches.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about showing us the whole tree?!

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In nature, larch are often tall skinny trees. If larch have good sun and the correct ground moisture the branches fill out for a number of years. Then at a certain maturity (might be height induced?), typically only the top 1/3 of the tree holds branches.

Here is a larch along a boardwalk with the growth you are describing.

Attachments

• A872B03B-5430-4360-8DE9-3E098364CA36.jpeg
    A872B03B-5430-4360-8DE9-3E098364CA36.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom