What to do after autumn decandling last year (JBP)?

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Guys,

I need a bit of information...

It is decandling time in my neck of the woods for JBP. I decandled half of them very late in the season last year, say early autumn. Got nice back budding, though some of the shoots grew way too long and I can't use these shoots in my design. Can I prune those shoots back to where they originated from like regular de-candling, or should I do something else? I've left quite a bit of 2 year old needles to be able to cut back to if they ever throw out needle buds much much later.

I've read on Jonas' blog that one must decandle after autumn decandling the previous year?

any advice appreciated

best regards
Herman

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Can you post some pix of the area in question?

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Brian,

will try to get some, though my phone crapped out on me, the only device I can use to take photos with atm, so this may have to wait until my phone is fixed?
Can I try to describe how this area looks to try and save some time?

let me try: so the area in question looks like this. I've got a short shoot coming from the secondary branches, this resulted from the autumn decandling. the short shoot started growing last season(after decandling, aka summer shoot) until it became too cold. this spring the small shoot grew some more and then pushed a bud that started growing immediately and resulted in a very long vigorous shoot that I cant use in my design. It's the same throughout most of the tree. I will try and get some pics on here as soon as I can get my Samsung S3 fixed, hard reset didn't work this time :|

best regards
Herman

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The purpose of fall decandling is to promote back budding on trees that won't "do it on its own". If it works, you get new back buds on old growth in the spring the following year. And they're likely going to be weak that first year.

Are you saying that the new back buds grew strongly and grew too long their first year?

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The purpose of fall decandling is to promote back budding on trees that won't "do it on its own". If it works, you get new back buds on old growth in the spring the following year. And they're likely going to be weak that first year.

Are you saying that the new back buds grew strongly and grew too long their first year?

Hi Mr Adair,

please read my description above

best regards
Herman

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Depends whose time you're trying to save. If I can see it I can help quickly.

Thanks Brian.

I might be able to borrow one of my wife's cameras and snap a few, copy it onto my flash drive and upload tomorrow from my work PC. Dunno if she would agree to it though, and I'm careful around her in her current state...

will take two weeks give or take to fix my phone(we call it Africa time over here).

best regards
Herman

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Guys,

I need a bit of information...

It is decandling time in my neck of the woods for JBP. I decandled half of them very late in the season last year, say early autumn. Got nice back budding, though some of the shoots grew way too long and I can't use these shoots in my design. Can I prune those shoots back to where they originated from like regular de-candling, or should I do something else? I've left quite a bit of 2 year old needles to be able to cut back to if they ever throw out needle buds much much later.

I've read on Jonas' blog that one must decandle after autumn decandling the previous year?

any advice appreciated

best regards
Herman
If you're saying that the new shoots are coming from areas that you're wanting to keep...but...they grew too vigorously this past spring, I'd consider de-candling. The one caveat is that the area of the tree you're cutting back is truly growing strongly and can handle another pruning insult.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Herman, it's mid summer for you, right? And the tree is vigorous all over?

Based upon those assumptions, I'd say you could decandle.

Post a picture when it's convenient.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Draw a Madden!

Sorce

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Look how much time this thread is saving...:confused:

replying means you had the time on your hands anyway... :)

I mentioned time because fixing my phone may take a long time, and I don't want to sit in the same situation as last year when I had to decandle late in early autumn.

sorry to waste your time boet ;)

the shoots growing from that area was 6-7" long, the rest of the tree had slightly shorter shoots. I did get quite a few buds pop on secondary branches, had to pull quite a bit of needles to get some light on those. Went ahead and decandled as the tree looked vigorous enough to handle it, thanks Brian, Dav4 and Mr Adair for helping out

will post pics when my phone is fixed.

best regards
Herman

Top Bottom