What to do in Chicago?

pback

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It looks like I’ll be up in Chicago for a couple of days at the end of the month. Is there anything bonsai related to check out in the area?

Or, folks from the area, any other “can’t miss” activities?

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Bonsai scene kind of dies in the Winter. The Chicago Botanic Garden puts its trees in storage.

Hidden Gardens in Willowbrook has some nice trees for sale. Some were brought in from out West by Walter Pall. About a half hour from downtown. They have a barn and green houses you may be able to walk through. Call ahead.

BC Bonsai has all their trees packed away in hoop houses, so not much to see.

Where will you be staying in Chicago? What do you like to do? Chicago has a lot to offer.

Get a beef sandwich wet, and some deep dish pizza.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Chicago in January is brrrrrrrr....

If you are downtown and looking for stuff to do, I'd point you indoors. The Art Institute, The Field Museum, The Shedd Aquarium, The Museum of Science and Industry, etc. I'm also a big fan of a couple of lesser known spots, including the Museum of Contemporary Art, or the Chicago Historical Society.

I have numerous favorite hang-outs, but a secret of mine is to go to the John Hancock building at 5:00 PM when no one else is there, take the elevators to the 95th (an expensive, swanky restaurant) and walk up to the Signature Lounge on the 96th and grab some window-front lounge seating and watch the winter traffic stream out of downtown. A cheap glass of house white, and you get to relax in comfortable seating while the tourists one story below have to pay $22 just to go up to the observation floor :) It's where I hung out with my wife-to-be on the night we got engaged (but that's a different story).

Of course you can always go to Southport Lanes. I'm a part-owner :) Tell them I sent you and I think you get free bowling shoes :)

pback

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks, guys.

The Art Institute was on my list. And that Signature Lounge sounds like the perfect kind of vibe. Will definitely look into Hidden Gardens as well.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Also, the Lincoln Park Conservatory, right on the lake shore. Not far from downtown. And the Garfield Park Conservatory, on the near west side. The neighborhood around Garfield is dicey after dark, but during the day, while the conservatory is open, it is fine.

Definitely make time for Hidden Gardens,

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Roseland has delightful bushes as the name implies.

Look into it.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It looks like I’ll be up in Chicago for a couple of days at the end of the month. Is there anything bonsai related to check out in the area?

Or, folks from the area, any other “can’t miss” activities?
Go to the Sears tower observation deck.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Chicago in January is brrrrrrrr....

If you are downtown and looking for stuff to do, I'd point you indoors. The Art Institute, The Field Museum, The Shedd Aquarium, The Museum of Science and Industry, etc. I'm also a big fan of a couple of lesser known spots, including the Museum of Contemporary Art, or the Chicago Historical Society.

I have numerous favorite hang-outs, but a secret of mine is to go to the John Hancock building at 5:00 PM when no one else is there, take the elevators to the 95th (an expensive, swanky restaurant) and walk up to the Signature Lounge on the 96th and grab some window-front lounge seating and watch the winter traffic stream out of downtown. A cheap glass of house white, and you get to relax in comfortable seating while the tourists one story below have to pay $22 just to go up to the observation floor :) It's where I hung out with my wife-to-be on the night we got engaged (but that's a different story).

Of course you can always go to Southport Lanes. I'm a part-owner :) Tell them I sent you and I think you get free bowling shoes :)
This is EXCELLENT advice for a Chicago tourist. Get a beer at the Hancock and skip the expensive Willis tower observation deck. Love it.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Hidden Gardens does bonsai year round and they've got great stuff. Call ahead or email. Otherwise winter kinda sucks.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't go to the Hidden Gardens unless you are prepared to be tempted worse than Eve.

You see, what happens is, you literally can't catch your breath when you look at this material, and with the lack of oxygen, you are prone to make poor decisions.
Like, not buying a tree, or, thinking you have to put it in your car that day, blah blah.

Take your time, catch your breath, talk to Jeff.
Last time I was there there was a tree going down to St. Louis via another order and nursery. I don't know what options may be available for you, but know the community is good, and Jeff will do what it takes to get you things safe.

Buy a tree!

Sorce

pback

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hahaha!

I'm with Leo right now.

I'll have some pots still.

We can hang out if you want.

Sorce
Sounds like Hidden Gardens - with some spending money - is a must. I’d love to meet up with you guys while I’m up there.

Top Bottom