What to do? What to do?

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe a little tighter, but I don't know how much more you could have gone before it would break.

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
As a follow-up to the question about which issue(s) of Bonsai Focus discusses bud grafts - I went thru a few issues and have listed the references below. All of these references are to the work of
N. Urushibata - his trees and grafting work. Peter Warren provides the text in a number of these;

#88 Sept./Oct. 2007: root grafting junipers
#113 Jan/Feb 2008: approach grafting deciduous trees
#117 Sept/Oct 2008: bud grafting conifers....

enjoy......

Tom

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure, but here's one I wrote:

Grafting as a Bonsai Tool

Chris

P.S. I also have some intermediate pics with a closer view of the wiring on the blog post.

Hi Chris,

I enjoyed reading your article on grafting. I have watched both Mas Ishii and Roy Nagotoshi graft for hours. I learned how to graft from a man named Bill Hashimoto. Bill hashimoto is a man that is seen everywhere bonsai is done and always around the Japanese masters. He is a Japanese Man's Man, and my super source for all things shohin. Gafu books, pots and material. Any person who has attended a trip to Japan with Bill Valavanis has been around Bill. He is significant other to Kora Dalager, travel agent who arranges most of Bill V's. trips to Japan.

OK to my question, did you do the grafts in the photo's for the article? Was it sucessful and do you have any photo's from that photo shoot and how they are doing. I have had tremendous sucess with thread grafts, approach grafts and inarch grafts. I have only been barely sucessful with one cleft graft, which could be called a bud graft. Lining up the cambium is crucial and the bag with moss or cotton as we use out here can never dry out. My problem is the take time. By the time I am near the take point we get hot and they die.

Any tips?
Al

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PS, sorry I did not comment on the spring...errr. I mean tree. I remember I posted a tree like this one time at BT and "hey Mikey" commented that it looked like a 57 Chevy coil spring.

May he rest in peace. Here's to you Mike Manos you were a good friend.

I like what you have done so far but I think I may have changed direction a few times. The coil over look will seem boring as it grows out.

BTW, here is a current shot of the pine I did last year in the thread you started about technique. The one with the twisty junipers that went rather out of control. Notice all those candles that I got this year as well as the needle length. Oh this is going to be a good one. Notice that long one up top? that is going to be the ole sacrificer.

Attachments

• DSC_00021.JPG
    DSC_00021.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 93

nsmar4211

Sapling
Reaction score
Hey Chris-

What I know about pines wouldn't keep a betta in food for 5 minutes soooooooooo ;)

But, it seems that the one coil is out of proportion to the rest. No offense but I can't make head or tails outta this fella, so, in one of the pictures there's a big coil with a stub sticking out of it to going down and right (future jin?). I wanted to reach in and compress that coil a bit. But, it looks like you compressed that pine about as far as its going this year :).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Chris-

What I know about pines wouldn't keep a betta in food for 5 minutes soooooooooo ;)

But, it seems that the one coil is out of proportion to the rest. No offense but I can't make head or tails outta this fella, so, in one of the pictures there's a big coil with a stub sticking out of it to going down and right (future jin?). I wanted to reach in and compress that coil a bit. But, it looks like you compressed that pine about as far as its going this year :).

Not really. It's still cold here and that one could be more compressed. It would require removing the guy wires that are holding the coils close to each other, but I think it could be done. You would not believe how springy and flexible this tree is.

Chris

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow that kind of shut things down here. Did anyone look at the last pics? Do you think the coils could be tighter, or should be looser, or what?

Chris

I already stated my minority thoughts on this one Chris. What Jason said is true. These will grow like wild fire in the ground and got to see this up close and personal on a hundred or so. That being said this tree with a four inch trunk would look rediculous. I think it needs to stay thin and untapered for the most part. How about spreading the coils? Make them a little less even maybe even make one horizontal. As of now I think the '57 chevy anology is a good one. Also these trees will back bud really well which is why they are grown and sheared for christmas trees. Just removing the terminal bud incites back budding on scot's pines.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually, if receiving full sun and properly fed, the simple act of shaping them with wire should make them back bud profusely.

bonsainotwar

Sapling
Reaction score
Hey guys,maybe he's deliberately trying to create a grotesque looking tree.If that's the case,then he's off to a great start!:D

My sister,who knows nothing about bonsai,came by recently,and I showed her my trees.She said "They're okay,but they look like real trees.I like the ones that are weird looking,like a science fiction landscape."

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey guys,maybe he's deliberately trying to create a grotesque looking tree.If that's the case,then he's off to a great start!:D

My sister,who knows nothing about bonsai,came by recently,and I showed her my trees.She said "They're okay,but they look like real trees.I like the ones that are weird looking,like a science fiction landscape."

Not sure what you mean by grotesque. When this tree is more mature, further down the road, you may see something different. Then again, maybe not.

Chris

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My honest Answer to this question is,,,
Chris,, and a few of you others,, playing pile-on to Will when he asked for advice on a Mugo Pine he put on a thread?
And didn't this thread go all the ways of the wind, except the way it was intentionally expected to go (LIKE GIVING A REASONABLY GOOD OPINION) of his tree? I recall it got all hell-bent on a dog-pile
on Will, (Not to excuse Will, and his sometimes self-righteous ways of plugging his web sites) but I felt this was in ways insulting. So if i say insulting things (not that I would) about this material would i be out of line? (think about it)
But,,,, in my opinion if its worth a cent,, I'd give this material a go!!!
Try it,,, bonsai isn't a art about ,,,"TIME" vs "Pleasure" even though in our world has been becoming a Burger King Society. have it My way,,, and NOW!
Some things we are for other generations to finish...
Some of my trees will never be presentable in my lifetime,, but i will continue to work on those with the same constitution as I do with my other trees that give faster results.
Best of to you in your endeavors,,,
Sincerely
Kevin J

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Chris,, and a few of you others,, playing pile-on to Will when he asked for advice on a Mugo Pine he put on a thread?
And didn't this thread go all the ways of the wind, except the way it was intentionally expected to go (LIKE GIVING A REASONABLY GOOD OPINION) of his tree? I recall it got all hell-bent on a dog-pile
on Will, (Not to excuse Will, and his sometimes self-righteous ways of plugging his web sites) but I felt this was in ways insulting. So if i say insulting things (not that I would) about this material would i be out of line? (think about it)
Try it,,, bonsai isn't a art about ,,,"TIME" vs "Pleasure" even though in our world has been becoming a Burger King Society. have it My way,,, and NOW!
Some of my trees will never be presentable in my lifetime,, but i will continue to work on those with the same constitution as I do with my other trees that give faster results.
Sincerely
Kevin J

Bravo, good for you. That took courage. The thing that mystifies me is that people are complaining that no one shows pictures of their trees any more. Ever wonder why?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I am following this tree because I want to learn from what Chris sees in it. One thing I am sure of, Chris knows a heckofa lot more about bonsai in general and pines most definitely. Therefore on this I have nothing to say but much to learn. Let's just see what he does with it.

A brief note regarding commentary on other's trees, I will avoid any further hijacking of this thread. I want to see what Chris makes of this tree so let's save any further general discussion for a different thread and keep this one for progression and critique and my education.
:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Sorry, you're going to have to link to the thread in question. When Will posted his mugo at the following thread:

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223

There was no "piling on" and he didn't actually ask for advice on the tree.

on Will,

If you'd show a thread where Will was asking for advice on a tree on this forum, I'd like to see it. As far as I'm concerned, Will has gotten good input on trees he has posted, whether it was the answers he was looking for or not. I've gotten the same.

(Not to excuse Will, and his sometimes self-righteous ways of plugging his web sites) but I felt this was in ways insulting. So if i say insulting things (not that I would) about this material would i be out of line? (think about it)
What insulting things? Perhaps you are speaking of the "censorship" thread (http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803)? What are you trying to say?
Sincerely
Kevin J
This last bit I am in total agreement with. So I haven't been offended by anyone's comments, even though a couple puzzled me.

Based on the work I did in wiring this tree, what do you think?

Chris

Reaction score
USDA Zone
And, come to think of it, I can't remember the last time a thread begun with honest intent to show a tree devolved into anything negative. I could be wrong, but looking at a lot of the specific forum threads shows some serious discussion of trees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's the tree on its side as Will suggested...

P1012415acascade.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
So yesterday I cut all the wire off, since it had served its purpose. Actually I had removed some that was cutting in and using plastic zip-ties, compressed the curves even more. Now the rest of the wire had cut in significantly, the trunk was swelling nicely. The biggest problem with this tree is that the base is so small and the curves are significantly larger. I can try to make the base larger in a couple of ways:
I can plant it in the ground and hope that it grows larger than the trunk naturally.

I can score it somehow and allow it to swell. I'd probably use wire for this purpose.

Or I can simply hide it behind the coiled trunk and arrange new foliage all around.

Are there any other ideas floating around out there? Is this still one for the burn pile?

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I see this tree and can only think of the song "Every which way but loose".
Irene

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
, the trunk was swelling nicely. The biggest problem with this tree is that the base is so small and the curves are significantly larger. I can try to make the base larger in .

I can score it somehow and allow it to swell. I'd probably use wire for this purpose.

Hi Chris, I have same problem as yours. Look at a picture. It is 17 months old Korean black pine. The trunk was swelling nicely with wiring, however, its base is smaller. I'm thinking to wire the base and let it cut deep or I can use the knife and cut parallel lines in the bark area along the base (this is a trick which was shown to me by my old Japanese friend- but I never tried it). Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_1374.jpg
    DSC_1374.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom